Effect of experimental pneumoconiosis on lipid peroxidation and the activity of enzymes the antioxidant protection system in albino rats
O. Oliynyk1, A. Slifirczyk1, O. Venger2
- Pope John Paul II State School of Higher Education, Biała Podlaska, Poland
- I.Horbachevsky Ternopil National Medical University, Ukraine
Pneumoconiosis (Pc) are interstitial pulmonary diseases of professional genesis, caused by long-term
inhalation of high dust concentrations. Pc affects from 26.6 to 53 percent of professional workers associated
with dust contamination. The peculiarity of the course of Pc is in its incurability and irreversibility. Pc was
modeled in 72 albino rats by endotracheal injection of a suspension of coal according to its own modification
of the technique O.Yu. Nikolenko. The activity of lipid peroxidation and enzymes of the antioxidant protection
system was related to the sickness period. The development of experimental Pc led to the increasing level
of malonic dialdehyde in 1.68–3.05 times in the blood, and also increase in the level of diene conjugates,
and triene conjugates 2.43–5.63 times, depending on the duration of the disease. 1.77–4.42 times decrease
in catalase, superoxide dismutase, and glutathione peroxidase activity, alongside with 1.56–2.02 times
increase in glutathione reductase activity, depending on the disease phase, occurred. The content of reduced
glutathione decreased in proportion to the duration of the disease. Initiation of lipid peroxidation and
suppressed activity of antioxidant protection system enzymes may be among the pathogenic mechanisms
of experimental Pc development.
experimental pneumoconiosis; lipid peroxidation; catalase; superoxide dismutase; glutathione peroxidase; glutathione reductase.
- Colinet J, Rider J, Listak J, Organiscak J, Wolfe A. Best Practices for Dust Control in Coal Mining. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Pittsburgh: PA; WA: DHHS (NIOSH). Publication N 2010-110; 2010.
- Shi J, Mao L, Chen Z, Zhou S, Bian L, Sun D. Comparison of welder's pneumoconiosis with silicosis and follow-up study of welder's pneumoconiosis. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2015,Nov;33(11):826-9. [Chinese].
- Tang H, Wang Y, Chen H, Xu J, Li B. Case fatality rate in patients with pneumoconiosis in China: a meta-analysis. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2015; 33(3):229-32. [Chinese].
- Behn C, Araneda O, Llanos A. Hypoxia-related lipid peroxidation: evidences, implications and approaches. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2007;158(2-3):143-50.
- Cecala A, O'Brien A. Dust Control Handbook for Industrial Minerals Mining and Processing. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Pittsburgh: PA; WA: DHHS (NIOSH). Publication N 2012-110; 2012.
- Imanaka M, Suganuma N. Japanese workplace health management in pneumoconiosis prevention. J Occup Health. 2017 Mar 28;59(2):91-103.
- Peskov S.A. Biological markers of early development of pneumoconiosis. Novosibirsk, 2000. [Russian].
- Peskov SA, Poteryeva EL, Nikiforova NG. On prognostic value of some phenotypic markers of blood groups, reactivity of neutrophils and lipid peroxidation during pneumoconiosis. Med Tr Prom Ekol. 2002;(1):12-5. [Russian].
- Pilipenko N. Disturbances in the system of LPO-AOD in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pneumoconiosis of professional genesis. Actual Probl Modern Med. 2017;17:164-7. [Russian].
- Shontsova TS, Ilderbaev OZ., Salambayeva GA. About the activity of some antioxidant enzymes in experimental pneumoconiosis. Available from: www. rusnauka.com. 11_EISN_2008. Medecine. 30819.doc.htm (20.04.2019). [Russian].
- Nikolenko O Ju. An experimental approach to the reproduction of anthracosilicosis in rats. Med. Today and Tomorrow. 2013;1:132-8. [Russian].
- Hatch GE, Raub JA, Graham JA. Functional and biochemical indicators of pneumoconiosis in mice: comparison with rats. J Toxicol Environ Health. 1984;13(4-6):487-97.
- Gelashvili OA. A variant of the periodization of biologically similar stages of ontogenesis of humans and rats. Saratov J Med Sci Res. 2008;4:125-9. [Russian].
- Vollhardt P, Neil E. Organic Chemistry. 6th ed. New York: W.H. Freeman & Company; 2007.
- European Union Directive 2010. 10. 63 EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes. Official J Eur Union (OJ) C 277; 17.11.2009.
- Mikhailova NN, Bondarev OI. Pathomorphological changes in the vessels of the heart and lungs in pneumoconiosis. Med in the Kuzbass. 2017;(3):36-43. [Russian].
- Jiang M, Li L, Wang Z, Zhang C. Preliminary study of exon sequence in pneumoconiosis and pneumoconiosis complicated with lung cancer using high-throughput sequencing technology. Zhang Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2017;35(11):801-6. [Chinese].
- Steenland K, Stayner L. Silica, asbestos, man-made mineral fibers, and cancer. Cancer Causes Control. 1997 May;8(3):491-503.
- Wang P, Xie K, Wang C, Bi J. Oxidative stress induced by lipid peroxidation is related with inflammation of demyelination and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis. Eur Neurol. 2014;72(3-4):249-54.
- Rauchová H, Vokurková M, Koudelová J. Hypoxiainduced lipid peroxidation in the brain during postnatal ontogenesis. Physiol Res. 2012;61(l):89-101.
- Abidi P, Afaq F, Arif J. Chrysotile-mediated imbalance in the glutathione redox system in the development of pulmonary injury. Toxicol Lett. 1999;106(1):31-9.
- Anlar HG, Bacanli M, İritaş S, Bal C, Kurt T, Tutkun E, Hinc Yilmaz O, Basaran N. Effects of occupational silica exposure on oxidative stress and immune system parameters in ceramic workers in Turkey. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2017;80(13-15):688-96.