FACTORS OF INNATE AND ANTIVIRAL IMMUNITY IN THE OROPHARYNGEAL SECRETION, TISSUE EXTRACTS AND CELL LYSATES OF PALATINE TONSILS IN CHILDREN WITH THEIR HYPERTROPHY AND CHRONIC INFLAMMATION
O.Yu. Bredun1, O.F. Melnykov2, M.D. Timchenko2, I.V. Faraon2
- P.L. Shupyk National Medical Academy of Postgraduate
Education, Kyiv, Ukraine
- O.S. Kolomiychenko Institute of Otolaryngology of
National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Ukraine
The authors determined comparative contents of defensin-β, α
and γ interferons, antibodies to influenza A virus and EpsteinBarr
virus capsid antigen in extracts from tonsil tissue, cell
lysate and oropharyngeal secretion in children with tonsil
hypertrophy and chronic tonsillitis. Cell lysates and tissue
extracts were obtained from palatine tonsils of 21 patients
aged 5-12 during appropriate surgical interventions on the
tonsils with hypertrophy and chronic tonsillitis. Oropharyngeal
secretions were obtained from 9 practically healthy children.
The results indicate a significant difference in the level of
factors of innate immunity in hypertrophy of the tonsils and
chronic tonsillitis. In the tissue and cells of the tonsils with
chronic tonsillitis, the content of innate immunity factors
(defensins and interferons) is reduced in comparison with
hypertrophy of the tonsils. Anamnestic antibodies to influenza
A virus and antibodies to EBV are detected in the tissue in the
same amount with hypertrophy and chronic tonsillitis. The
research results allow us to conclude that under conditions
of chronic inflammation, the tissue of the tonsils has lower
immunological potential than the tissue of the tonsils with
hypertrophy. This forms the basis for organizing immunerehabilitation
complex approaches for the conservative
treatment of chronic tonsillitis.
hypertrophy of the tonsils, chronic tonsillitis, defensin-β, interferon, antibodies to viruses, cell lysate, tissue extract, oropharyngeal secretion.
- Melnykov O, Zabolotny D, Kischuk V, Bredun O, Rylska O. Immunology of chronic tonsillitis. Kyiv: Logos; 2017. [Russian].
- Melnykov O, Bredun O, Timchenko M, Bredun S. Content of afferent and effectors immune system cells, regulatory cytokines of hypertrophy and chronic inflammation palatine tonsils in children were estimated. Fiziol Zh.. 2019; 65(2): 84-8. [Ukrainian].
- Bernstein J, Rich G, Odzimec C, Ballow M. Are thymusderived lymphocytes defective un nasopharyngeal and palatine tonsils of children? Head & Neck Surgery. 1994;109(4): 693-700.
- LaykoA, Zabolotny D, Kosakovsky A, Bereznuk V, Zabolotna D. Hypertrophy of the lymphadenoid tissue of the pharynx. Kyiv: Logos; 2009. [Ukrainian].
- Melnykov O. Immunological aspects of the genesis of chronic tonsillitis and regulation of the functional activity of the palatine tonsils [dissertation]. Kiev: Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR; 1981. [Russian].
- Zabolotny D, Melnykov O, Timchenko S, Zabolotna D. Study of oropharyngeal secretion in patients with chronic inflammatory and allergic diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Kyiv; Institute of Otolaryngology. 2008. [Ukrainian].
- Demyanov A, Kotov A, Simbirtsev A. Diagnostic value of clinical cytokine studies. Cytokines and inflammation. 2003; 3: 20-8. [Russian].
- Henderson C, Goldbach-Mansky R. Monogenic IL-1 mediate inflammatory and deficiency syndromes. Clin Immunol. 2010; 135(3): 210-22.
- Kabat A, Mayer M. Experimental Immunochemistry. Moscow: World; 1968. [Russian].
- Gubler E. Informatics in pathology, clinical medicine and pediatrics. Leningrad: Medicine; 1999. [Russian].
- Abaturov O, Gerasimenko O, Visochina I, Zavgorodnaya N. Defensins and defensin-dependent diseases Odessa: VMV; 2011. [Russian].
- Melnykov O, Peleshenko N, Zabolotna D, Rylska O. Immunomodulation of phytopreparations in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Kiev; 2013. [Russian].
- Diamond G, Beckloff N, Weinberg A, Kisish K. The role antimicrobial peptides in innate host defense. Curr Parm Des 2009; 15(21): 2377-92.
- Drannik G. Clinical immunology and allergology. Kyiv: Polygraph plus; 2010. [Russian].
- Abaturov O, Kruchko T, Agafonova O, Didyatkovsky B, Ostapenko V, Kolenko I. Pathogenetic bases of development and possibilities of medical correction of infectious process in pediatric practice. Kyiv: Julia print; 2016. [Ukrainian].
- Matricon J, Barnish N, Ardid D. Immunopathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Self Nonself. 2010; 1(4): 299-309.
- Melnykov O, Zabolotnaya D. Modern approaches to the conservative treatment of chronic tonsillitis. Kiev: Vistka; 2012. [Russian].
- WindfuhrJ, Toepfne N, Steffen G, Waldfahrer F, Berner R. Clinical practice guidline: tonsillitis. 1. Diagnostics and nonsurgical management. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016; 273(b): 974-89.