Complex psychophysiological approach to the diagnostic of anxiety and depressive states for military personnel
S.V. Babak, O.V. Petrachkov, V.V. Biloshitskiy
- Ivan Chernyakhovsky National Defense University of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
The specifics of military activity under certain environmental conditions can become an indicator of hidden
anxiety disorders and depressive states of the personality. Timely detection of those states in military
personnel is very important for providing them with appropriate professional assistance. In Ukraine today,
given the military realities, this topic is quite relevant. The presence of anxiety and depression was studied
in 48 male servicemen aged 19-22 years. Psychophysiological and psychological methods were used: the
Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale. To assess the adaptation
potential, the method of determining the index of functional changes was used, which takes into account both
functional reserves and the degree of tension of homeostasis regulatory mechanisms. The predominance of
a certain department of the autonomic nervous system was determined by Kerdo’s Vegetative index. Ruffier
functional test provides an opportunity to evaluate the functional capabilities of the cardiovascular system,
and the Robinson index characterizes systolic work of the heart. The projective “House-Tree-Person” test
provides an opportunity to find out the self-perception and stereotyped reactions of a person. To identify
the relationship between the methods, the Pearson correlation coefficient was calculated. Correlations
between psychophysiological and psychological research methods of anxiety and depression presence
have been determined. It can be argued that the use of psychological projective methods in combination
with psychophysiological research provides extensive information about the presence of conscious and
unconscious symptom complexes and about the probability of the presence of such personality traits as
insecurity, anxiety, aggressiveness, depression, difficulties in self-expression, etc. Early detection of these
traits may prevent impairments of military activities in critical periods.
anxiety states; depression; military personnel; psychophysiological and psychological research methods.
- Petrachkov OV, Konovalov DO. Analysis of the experience of training servicemen of the armies of the world's leading countries. Modern trends and prospects for the development of physical training and sports of the armed forces of Ukraine, law enforcement agencies, rescue and other special services on the path of Euro-Atlantic integration of Ukraine. 2019:151-2. [Ukrainian].
- Babak SV. Electroencephalography indicators in people with panic disorders. Herald Probl Biol Med. 2021;3(161):9-14.
- Babak SV, Karnaukh TV. Anxiety and depression in athletes. International scientific and practical conference «Physical culture and sports in the Еuropean educational space»: conference proceedings, July 9-10, 2021. Wloclawek, Poland: Baltija Publ. 2021:67-9.
- Hruby А, Lieberman HR, Smith TJ. Symptoms of depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder and their relationship to health-related behaviors in over 12,000 US military personnel: Bi-directional associations. J Affect Disord. 2021;283:84-93.
- Gill J, Lee H, Barr T, Baxter T, Heinzelmann M, Rak H, Mysliwiec V. Lower health related quality of life in US military personnel is associated with servicerelated disorders and inflammation. Psychiatr Res. 2014;216(1):116-22.
- Alexopoulos P, Papanastasiou AD, Εconomou P, Beis P, Niforas M, Dassios TG, et al. Associations between APOE-, COMT Val108/158Met- and BDNF Val66Met polymorphisms and variations in depressive and anxiety symptoms, sense of coherence and vital exhaustion in the real-life setting of mandatory basic military training. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2021;128(1):105-14.
- Koenig HG, Youssef NA, Oliver RJP, Ames D, Haynes K, Volk F,Teng EJ. Religious involvement, anxiety/ depression, and PTSD symptoms in US Veterans and Active Duty Military J Relig Health. 2018;57(6):2325-42.
- Curry JF, Shepherd-Banigan M, Voorhees EV, Wagner HR, Kelley ML, Strauss J, Naylor J. Sex differences in predictors of recurrent major depression among currentera military veterans. Psychol Serv. 2021;18(2):275-84.
- Wang H, Zhang R, Chen Y, Wang H, Zhang Y, Gan J, Zhang L, Tan Q. Social anxiety disorder in the Chinese military: prevalence, comorbidities, impairment, and treatment-seeking. Psychiatr Res. 2014;220(3):903-8.
- Petrachkov OV. Factors affecting military personnel in survival conditions. Sci Bull Proc Natl Univ Bioresources Nat Manag Ukraine. 2015;208:163-9. [Ukrainian].
- Tkachuk IМ. Prevalence of anxiety and depressive disorders among servicemen participating in anti-terrorist operations. Herald Sci Res. 2018;1:64-6. [Ukrainian].
- Yena AI, Maslyuk VV, Sergiyenko AV. Relevance and organizational principles of medical and psychological rehabilitation of participants in anti-terrorist operations. Sci J Ministry Health Ukraine. 2014;1:5-16. [Ukrainian].
- Koval SM, Snugurska OI. Stress-induced arterial hypertension and wartime arterial hypertension - formidable challenges for modern Ukraine. Arterial Hypertens. 2015;5(43):13-8. [Ukrainian].
- Sheriff RS, Hooff MV, Malhi GS, Grace B, McFarlane A. Childhood determinants of past-year anxiety and depression in recently transitioned military personnel. J Affect Disord. 2020;274:59-66.
- Georgantas D, Tsounis A, Vidakis I, Malliarou M, Sarafis P. The impact of socio-demographic features on anxiety and depression amongst navy veterans after retirement: a cross-sectional study. BMC Res Notes. 2020;13(1):122.
- Bayevsky RM, Berseneva AP. Assessment of adaptive capabilities of the body and risks of developing diseases. M.: Medicine; 1997.
- Kérdö I. Ein aus daten der blutzirkulation kalkulierter index zur beurteilung der vegetativen tonuslage. Acta Neuroveget. 1966;29(2):250-68.
- Lytvynenko IS, Prasol DV. Projective drawing methods: Methodical manual. Mykolaiv: Arnex Publ House. 2015. [Ukrainian].
- Shamlyan K, Klimanska M. Projective methods of personality research: a textbook. Lviv: LNU named after Ivan Franko; 2014. [Ukrainian].
- Neurova AB, Kapinus OS, Hrytsevich TL. Diagnosis of individual psychological properties and qualities of personality. Educational and methodological manual. Lviv: NASV; 2016. [Ukrainian].