THE EFFECT OF MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS INJECTION ON THE STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF CEREBRAL HEMISPHERES NEUROPIL OF RATS WITH EXPERIMENTAL NITRITE-INDUCED DEMENTIA
Ye.M. Lukyanova, O.O. Pavlova, G.I. Gubina-Vakulik, T.V. Gorbach
Kharkiv National Medical University, Ukraine
The cerebral hemispheres neuropil of rats with experimental
nitrite-induced Alzheimer’s type dementia was studied after
mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) introduction. Rats were
injected with an aqueous solution of sodium nitrite (50 mg/
kg) for 14 (group 1) and 28 days (group 3), and half of them
additionally got intravenously MSC (500000 cells per rat)
(groups 2 and 4). The control group received saline in the
same way. The acetylcholine level, TBA-active substances
contents, catalase and superoxide dismutase activities in brain
homogenates, and the content of 2,3-diphofoglycerate (2,3-
DFG) in erythrocytes were measured spectrophotometrically.
Brain slices were stained with Congo red and according
to the Einarson method. They were then examined on an
Axiostar plus binocular microscope (“Zeiss”, Germany). The
optical density of the cerebral hemispheres neuropil had been
measured. In all experimental groups, an increase in the content
of 2,3-DFG in erythrocytes and an imbalance in the pro- and
antioxidant system, oxidative stress development in brain were
observed. The neuropil structure of the cerebral hemispheres
was changed: we observed focal zones of neurofilaments
degeneration and atrophy and amyloid accumulation,
especially in group 3. The optical density of neuropil was
reduced; this was accompanied by a decrease in the content
of acetylcholine. MSC injections resulted in a significant
increase in the content of acetylcholine, decrease in the brain
oxygen demand and the content of TBA-active substances.
Consequently, prolonged sodium nitrite administration leads
to the cerebral hemispheres neuropil structure and functional
injury. MSC introduction contributes to the improvement of
the neuropil morphofunctional state.
Alzheimer’s type dementia; neuropil; sodium nitrite; mesenchymal stem cells; oxidative stress; antioxidant system; acetylcholine; hypoxia; rats.
- Tiwari S, Atluri V, Kaushik A, Yndart A, Nair M. Alzheimer's disease: pathogenesis, diagnostics, and therapeutics. Int J Nanomed. 2019 Jul 19;14:5541-54.
- Araque Caballero MÁ, Suárez-Calvet M, Duering M, Franzmeier N, Benzinger T, Fagan AM, et al. White matter diffusion alterations precede symptom onset in autosomal dominant Alzheimer's disease. Brain. 2018 Oct 1;141(10):3065-80.
- Sagare AP, Bell RD, Zlokovic BV. Neurovascular defects and faulty amyloid-β vascular clearance in Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2013;33Suppl 1(01):87-100.
- Nelson AR, Sweeney MD, Sagare AP, Zlokovic BV. Neurovascular dysfunction and neurodegeneration in dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862(5):887-900.
- De la Monte SM, Neusner A, Chu J, Lawton M. Epidemilogical trends strongly suggest exposures as etiologic agents in the pathogenesis of sporadic Alzheimer's disease, diabetes mellitus, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;17:519-29.
- Savitskiy IV, Gorbach TV, Miastkovskaja IV, Grigoriev PE, Yakushkin EY, Sliusar AA. Dynamics endothelial dysfunction nitrate under the influence of load. J Educ Health Sport. 2016;6:337-48.
- Binan L, Ajji A, De Crescenzo G, Jolicoeur M. Approaches for neural tissue regeneration. Stem Cell Rev Rep. 2014 Feb;10(1):44-59.
- Feliciano DM, Bordey A, Bonfanti L. noncanonical sites of adult neurogenesis in the mammalian brain. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2015 Sep 18;7(10):a018846.
- Tam RY, Fuehrmann T, Mitrousis N, Shoichet MS. Regenerative therapies for central nervous system diseases: a biomaterials approach. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 Jan;39(1):169-88.
- Pyatikop VA, Msallam MA, Shchegehlskaya EA, Kutovoy IA, Gubina-Vakulik GI, Gorbach TV. Comparative efficacy of intravenous injection of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in rats with model of Parkinsonlike syndrome. Ukr Neurosurg J. 2014;2:55-61.
- Nikolayeva OV, Pavlova OO, Lukyanova YM, GubinaVakulik GI, Gorbach TV, inventor; Kharkiv National Medical University, assignee. A method of modeling Alzheimer's type dementia of vascular origin in rats. Ukr patent UA 141759. 2020 Apr 27. [Ukrainian].
- Vareniuk IM, Dzerzhynskyi ME. Methods of cytohistological diagnosis: study guide. Kyiv: Interservice; 2019. 26-37. [Ukrainian].
- Zorenko Y, Gubina-Vakulyck G, Pavlova O, Gorbach T, Shchegelskaya E, Omelchenko E. Dynamics of indicators of the endothelium morphofunctional state of the brain microcirculatory bed vessels in rats with nitrite-induced Alzheimer's type dementia on the background of mesenchymal stem cell administration. Med Čas. 2021; 55(1):18-26.
- Coimbra-Costa D, Alva N, Duran M, Carbonell T, Rama R. Oxidative stress and apoptosis after acute respiratory hypoxia and reoxygenation in rat brain. Redox Biol. 2017 Aug;12:216-25.
- Ganzha VV, Lukyanetz EA. Role of mitochondrial disfunction in the development of Alzheimer's disease. Fiziol Zh. 2021;67(1):57-66.
- Naaldijk Y, Jäger C, Fabian C, Leovsky C, Blüher A, Rudolph L, Hinze A, Stolzing A. Effect of systemic transplantation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells on neuropathology markers in APP/PS1 Alzheimer mice. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2017 Jun;43(4):299-314.
- Angeloni C, Gatti M, Prata C, Hrelia S, Maraldi T. Role of mesenchymal stem cells in counteracting oxidative stress-related neurodegeneration. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 May 7;21(9):3299.