USE OF INDICATORS OF STIFFNESS AND ENERGY OF THE MYOCARDIUM AS MARKERS OF AGING OF THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
L.A. Bodretska, I.S. Shapovalenko, I.A. Antonyuk-Shcheglova, O.V. Bondarenko, S.S. Naskalova, V.B. Shatilo
D.F. Chebotarev Institute of Gerontology NAMS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Age-related changes in the stiffness characteristics of the left
ventricular (LV) myocardium and the possibility of using them
to determine a person’s biological age (BA) were investigated.
188 practically healthy people (115 women and 73 men) were
examined, divided by age into 5 groups: I - 30-39 years old
(n = 25), II - 40-49 years old (n = 40), III - 50-59 years old
(n = 38), IV - 60-69 years old (n = 46), V - 70-79 years old
(n = 39). All were examined clinically, echocardiography was
performed, the biological age of the cardiovascular system
(CVS) was calculated according to the Framingham scale.
In practically healthy people, with age, the indicators of left
ventricular myocardial stiffness and the energy cost of the
heart work statistically significantly increase, and residual
energy decreases. Excess BA of the examined in relation to
their calendar age was detected in 4 (10%, 95% CI 2.6-21.5),
12 (31.6%, 95% CI 17.6-47.6) and 14 (30.4%, 95% CI 17.8-
44.8) persons in age groups 40-49, 50-59 and 60-69 years,
respectively, which indicates accelerated aging of the CVS. A
direct correlation of moderate strength between biological age
and indicators of the energy cost of the work of the heart has
been established. It is advisable to use indicators of myocardial
stiffness and energy spent on heart contraction as markers of
aging to determine BA CVS.
biological age of the cardiovascular system; myocardial stiffness; energy cost of the heart.
- Vovkanych LS. Characteristics of methods for determining the biological age of man (mini-review). Healthy lifestyle: collection. Science. Lviv; 2008. 28:19-26.
- Reddy YNV, Carter RE, Obokata M, Redfield MM, Borlaug BA. A simple, evidence-based approach to help guide diagnosis of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Circulation. 2018 Aug 28;138(9):861-70.
- D'Agostino RB Sr, Vasan RS, Pencina MJ, Wolf PA, Cobain M, Massaro JM, Kannel WB. General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the framingham heart study. Circulation. 2008 Feb 12;117(6):743-53.
- Weber MA, Schiffrin EL, White WB, Mann S, Lindholm LH, Kenerson JG, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of hypertension in the community: a statement by the American Society of Hypertension and the International Society of Hypertension. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2014 Jan;16(1):14-26.
- Ikonomidis I, Aboyans V, Blacher J, Brodmann M, Brutsaert DL, Chirinos JA, et al. The role of ventriculararterial coupling in cardiac disease and heart failure: assessment, clinical implications and therapeutic interventions. A consensus document of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Aorta & Peripheral Vascular Diseases, European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging, and Heart Failure Association. Eur J Heart Fail. 2019 Apr;21(4):402-24.
- Chirinos JA. Ventricular-arterial coupling: Invasive and non-invasive assessment. Artery Res. 2013 Mar;7(1):10.1016/j.artres.2012.12.002.
- Chirinos JA, Sweitzer N. Ventricular-arterial coupling in chronic heart failure. Card Fail Rev. 2017 Apr;3(1):12-8.
- Lyah YuE, Guryanov VG, Homenko VE, Panchenko OA. Fundamentals of computer biostatistics: analysis of information in biology, medicine and pharmacy by the MedStat statistical package. Donetsk: Papakitsa EC; 2006.
- Kobalava ZD, Kotovskaya YuV, Bogomaz AV. New methods of assessment of subclinical changes in the cardiovascular system in arterial hypertension. Ration Pharmacother Cardiol. 2016;12(3):317-24.
- Kobalava ZD, Lukina OI, Meray I, Villevalde SV. Ventricular-arterial coupling parameters and its prognostic value in patients with decompensated heart failure. Russ J Cardiol. 2020;25(1):3695.
- Bukharov IB. Optimal structural and functional organization of the circulatory and external respiration systems. Mathemat Model. 2005;17(9):3-26.
- Khazov VS. Development of ideas about the fundamental principles of the occurrence of coronary heart disease. System analysis of the regulation of the activity of the heart in the norm. Russ Arch Int Med. 2012;(6).
- Astashkin EI, Glezer MG. Influence of aging on some key stages of energy metabolism of cardiomyocytes. Clin Gerontol. 2008;14 (11);3-10.
- Anokhin PK. Key questions of the theory of functional system. M., Nauka. 1980.
- Luchkova AYu, Strutynska NA, Sagach VF. The influence of calcium accumulation on the function of electron transport chain in the old rat heart mitochondria. Fiziol Zh. 2018; 64(5): 16-25.