ACOUSTIC ANALYSIS OF VOICE MEAS- URES IN CHRONIC LARYNGITIS PATIENTS
P.M. Kovalchuk, T.A. Shydlovska
Kolomiychenko Institute of Otolaryngology NAMS of Ukraine”, Kyiv, Ukraine
We aimed to analyse voice signals in 40 patients with chronic
laryngitis elicited by exposure to chemical factors. We ex-
amined 20 people with catarrhal chronic laryngitis (group
1), 20 people with subatrophic chronic laryngitis (group 2)
and 15 healthy volunteers as controls. All subjects underwent
acoustic examination of the voice signal using the software
Praat V 4.2.1. We studied acoustic measures as follows: Jitter,
Shimmer and NHR (noise-to-harmonics ratio). The analysis
of the obtained data revealed statistically significant differ-
ences in the average values of Jitter and Shimmer measures, as well as in the ratio of nonharmonic (noise) and harmonic
component in the spectrum ( NHR) in patients with chronic
laryngitis (groups 1 and 2) compared with controls. In group
1 (chronic catarrhal laryngitis), the average values of acoustic
measures such as Jitter, Shimmer and NHR were as follows:
Jitter - 0.92 ± 0.1%, Shimmer - 5.31 ± 0.5%, NHR - 0.078 ±
0.04. In group 2 (subatorophic laryngitis), the average values
of acoustic measures were: Jitter - 0.67 ± 0.6%, Shimmer -
6.57 ± 0.7% and NHR - 0.028 ± 0.003. The obtained data
indicate a pronounced instability of the voice in frequency
and amplitude, a significant proportion of the noise component
in the spectrum of the voice signal in the examined patients
with chronic laryngitis exposed to chemical factors. The most
pronounced alterations were found in patients with catarrhal
chronic laryngitis. We conclude that the quantitative values
of spectral analysis of the voice signal Jitter, Shimmer, NHR
may serve as valuable criteria of the degree of voice impair-
ment. This may be helpful in determining the effectiveness of
acoustic analysis of voice, Jitter, Shimmer, NHR, laryngitis.
- Karpov AA. The state of thioldisulfide system of patients with chronic diseases of upper respiratory tract with concomitant coeliac disease. Russ Otorhinolaryngol. 2018:2;53-7. [Russian].
- Kolesnikova OM, Malkova ME. An integrated approach to the treatment of chronic laryngitis. "Pharmateka". 2017: 22-5. [Russian].
- Pankova VB. Modern problems of diagnostics and examination of occupational diseases of the upper respiratory tract. J Vest Otorinolaringol. 2015: 2;14-8. [Russian].
- Shydlovska TA. Functional voice disorders. Shidlovska TA. Kyiv. "Logos". 2011. [Ukranian].
- Andrushchenko TA, Goncharov SV, Dosenko VE. Genetic predisposition to broncopulmonary pathology in workers of harmful and hazardous industries. Fiziol Zh. 2018; 64 (4):12-9. [Ukrainian].
- Shydlovska TA, Volkova TV, Cymbaljuk JeM. Formants F1 and F2 characteristics according to voice signal spectral analysis in patients with functional and organic diseases of the vocal apparatus. Zh UNGB. 2016:4;32-48. [Ukranian].
- Shydlovska TA, Yaremchuk SE, Zemliak NB. Acoustic jitter and shimmer measures in patients with motor disorders of the larynx. J ENT Dis. 2017. Issue 5:51-9. [Ukranian].
- Brockmann M, Drinnan MJ, Storck C. Reliable jitter and shimmer measurements in voice clinics: the relevance of vowel, gender, vocal intensity, and fundamental frequency effects in a typical clinical task. J Voice. 2011; 25(1):44-53.
- Echternach M, Nusseck M, Dippold S, et al. Fundamental frequency, sound pressure level and vocal dose of a vocal loading test in comparison to a real teaching situation. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014:271(12); 3263-8.
- Gorris С, Maccarini AR, Vanoni F, Poggioli М, Vaschetto R, Garzaro М, and AluffiP. Analysis of normal voice patterns in italian adults by using praat. 2020. J Voice: (11):961.e9-961.e18.
- Halawa WE,. Freiré AR F, Muñoz IV, et al. Assessment of effectiveness of acoustic analysis of voice for monitoring the evolution of vocal nodules after vocal treatment. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014: 271;749-56.
- Naufel de Felippe A, Marotti Martelletti M, Grechi Thaнs H. Standardization of acoustic measures for normal voice patterns: Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2006;72(5):659-64.
Seidner Wolfram. Nawka Tadeus. Aids to Voice Diagnos- tics. Wolfram Seidner XION GmbH. 2014
- Zhaoyan Zhan. Mechanics of human voice production and control. J Acoust Soc Am. 2016; 140(4): 2614-35.