SCIENTIFIC HERITAGE AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF NORMAL PHYSIOLOGY OF DANYLO HALYTSKYI LVIV NATIONAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (ON THE OCCASION OF THE 125TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEPARTMENT)
I.M. Kovalchuk, M.Ya. Savytska
Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine
The historical outline of the Physiology Department in the
Medical Faculty of Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical
University (LNMU) dedicated to the 125 years anniversary
is presented. The department was founded by Adolf Beck at
1895. Professor Beck was not merely a scholar, with first-rate
credentials for having developed methods for the study of
the cerebral cortex and neurophysiology, but also a man of
great personal courage. Adolf Beck also worked in fields of
general physiology, such as visceral and sensory function and
laboratory medicine. He also arranged a local physiological
society and the Institute of Physiology of the university. He
did not receive the Nobel Prize despite being nominated
several times. His followers Wiktor Tychowski, Mechyslav
Wierzuchowski, were next heads of Physiology Department of
LNMU in the interwar time. The impact of Anatoliy Vorobjev,
Yakiv Sklayrov, Eugen Panasuk in Physiology and on the
development Physiology Department in second half of 20th
century is presented. The modern achievement of the Lviv
Physiological School is described too.
history of hysiology; physiology; Danylo Halytskyi Lviv national medical university; experimental medicine; science.
- Zimenkovsky B, Grzegotski M, Lutsyk O. Professors of Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University. Lviv: Nautilus; 2009. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska O, Coenen A, Grzegotski M. Nobility in science and life: in memory of the founder of the Lviv physiological school, Professor Adolf Beck. Exp Clin Physiol Biochem. 2009;(3):103-9. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska O. Remembering the 150th anniversary of the birth of Adolf Beck (1863-1942). Physiol News. 2014:94. https:.www.physoc.org. magazine-articles. remembering-the-150th-anniversary-of-the-birth-ofadolf-beck-1863-1942.
- Klevets' M. Beck (Beck). In: Vakarchuk IO, ed. Encyclopedia. Ivan Franko National University of Lviv. Lviv; 2011. Part 1. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska O. Lviv of the Beck' era. In: Independent culturological magazine «I». Lviv; 2016. [Ukrainian].
- Coenen A, Zayachkivska O, Konturek S, Pawlik W. Adolf Beck, co-founder of the EEG. An essay in honour of his 150th birthday. Krakow; Lviv: Nijmegen, 2013.
- Aminoff MJ. Aminoff's electrodiagnosis in clinical neurology. Elsevier. 2012;(6):10-1.
- Brazier M. A. B., editor. Beck, A.: The determination of localizations in the brain and spinal cord with the aid of electrica lphenomena. Acta Neurobiol Exp. 1973;(3, suppl.):1-55.
- Coenen A, Zajachkivska O, Bilski R. In the foot steps of Beck: the desynchronization of the electroencephalogram. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1998;106(4):330-5.
- 10.Coenen A, Zayachkivska O, Bilski R. Sladami Adolfa Becka: desynchronizacja zapisu electroencefalograficznego. Kosmos. Probl Nauk Biol. 1999;48(1):137-43. [Polish].
- Wojtkiewicz-Rok W. Lata chwały i dni grozy. Studia nad dziejami Wydziału Lekarskiego Uniwersytetu Jana Kazimierza we Lwowie. Torun: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek; 2012. 32, 40, 41, 46, 56, 82-89, 171, 187, 222, 227, 248, 267.
- Beck Zakrzewska J. A daughter's memories of Adolf Beck. Acta Neurobiol Exp. 1973;(3, suppl):57-9.
- Zayachkivska O, Gzhegotsky M, Coenen A. Impact on electroencephalography of Adolf Beck, a prominent Polish scientist and founder of the Lviv School of Physiology. Int J Psychophysiol. 2012;85(1):3-6.
- Zayachkivska O. The world of Adolf Beck by eyes of Henryk Beck: Total un official. Lviv: BaK. 2013.
- Panasyuk EM, Karyuk LS, Fedoriv YM, Onishchenko SE. Physiology and pathology of the respiratory system. Lviv: World; 1992. [Ukrainian].
- Alyeksyeyev OI, Popovych IL, Panasyuk YeM, Barylyak LG, Sarancha SM, Shumakov MF. Adaptogens and Radiation. Kyiv: Nauk Dumka, 1996. [Ukrainian].
- Panasyuk EM, Yutanov VI, Zharinov OY, Kornilova NP, Seredyuk NM. Physiology and pathology of the circulatory system. Lviv: World; 1997. [Ukrainian].
- Panasyuk EM, Fedorov YM, Modilevsky VM, Filchikova ZI. Physiotherapy. Lviv: World; 1995. [Ukrainian].
- Panasyuk EM, Zayachkivska OS. Tongue: Clinical and physiological bases of lingvodiagnostics. Lviv: World; 2000. [Ukrainian].
- Shevchuk VG, Moroz VM, Belan SM, Yoltukhivsky MV, Grzegotsky MR. Physiology: a textbook for students of higher medical education. Vinnytsia: New Book; 2015. [Ukrainian].
- Grzegotski MR, editor. Physiology. Educational and methodical manual for practical classes and independent work. Vinnytsia: New Book; 2019. [Ukrainian].
- Sabo Sh, Sabo K, Zayachkivska O. Stress: from Hans Selye to the present day. Lviv: Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University; 2019. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska OS, editor. Physiology, including the physiology of the masticatory apparatus. Textbook for practical classes and independent work for students (masters) of the Faculty of Dentistry (III semester). Part I. Lviv: Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University; 2018. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska OS, editor Physiology, including the physiology of the masticatory apparatus. The textbook for practical classes and independent work for students (masters) of the Faculty of Dentistry (IV semester). Part II. Lviv: Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University; 2019. [Ukrainian].
- Zayachkivska OS, editor. Digestive physiology. The textbook for practical classes and independent work for students (masters) of the medical faculty. Lviv: Danylo Halytskyi Lviv National Medical University; 2019. [Ukrainian].
- William F. Ganong. Human physiology. Lviv: BaK; 2002. [Ukrainian].