EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF AORTIC VALVE RECONSTRUCTION WITH AUTOLOGOUS PERICARDIUM USING SET OF SIZERS AND TEMPLATES
S.V. Varbanets, O.S. Gurjeva, O.Yu. Pukas, V.V. Payuk, G.I. Yemets, I.M. Yemets
Government Institution «The Scientific-Practical Children’s Cardiac Center» of Health Ministry of Ukraine, Kyiv,
Possibilities of AV reconstruction with autologous tissues
using mathematical calculations reported by Gasparyan were
evaluated. We also assessed efficacy of neo-AV functioning
and designed new instruments capable of simplifying
individual parameters measurements and enabling correct
intraoperative AV leaflets tailoring in time-saving manner.
We have performed series of 10 experiments on porcine hearts
in the Wetlab of Government Institution «The ScientificPractical
Children’s Cardiac Center» of Health Ministry
of Ukraine (Kyiv, Ukraine) aiming to study opportunities
of AV re-construction. Set of sizers and templates were
designed according to Gasparian’s calculations. Instruments
were manufactured by “DM Med-service” Ltd (Kyiv,
Ukraine) as an experimental set. Hydrodynamic conditions
of AV functioning were simulated via water pumping into
aortic root through sutured-in vascular prosthesis. Invasive
hydrodynamic parameters’ recording with IntelliVue X2
(“Phillips”, Netherlands) were applied for AV reconstruction
results assessment. Thoracoscopic video-recording of neoAV
was carried out using WideView (“Storz”, Germany)
advanced into vascular prosthesis. Series of experiments
have shown good AV competence and capability of neo-AV
to resist high pressures, similar to those in natural conditions
of AV functioning. Lack of pressure drop and significant
leakage during simulated diastole characterize reconstructed
with autologous pericardium porcine AV as competent in all
10 experiments. Designed and manufactured set of sizers
and templates enables efficacious AV reconstruction in vitro.
Implementation of neo-cuspidization using the set of sizers
enables time-friendly precise intraoperative measurements
and tailoring of neo-AV cusps.
aortic valve; reconstruction; autopericardium
- Lazam S, Vanoverschelde JL, Tribouilloy C, Grigioni F, Suri RM, Avierinos JF, et al. MIDA (Mitral Regurgitation International Database) Investigators Twenty-year outcome after mitral repair versus replacement for severe degenerative mitral regurgitation: analysis of a large, prospective, multicenter, international registry. Circulation. 2017;135(5):410-2.
- Nelleke M Korteland1, Jonathan RG Etnel, Bardia Arabkhani1, M Mostafa Mokhles1, Arezo Mohamad, Jolien W Roos-Hesselink, Ad JJC Bogers1, Johanna JM Takkenberg. Mechanical aortic valve replacement in non-elderly adults: meta-analysis and microsimulation. Eur Heart J. 2017;38(45):3370-7.
- Jonathan RG Etnel, Simone A Huygens, Pepijn Grashuis Begüm, Pekbay Grigorios Papageorgiou, Jolien W Roos Hesselink, Ad JJC Bogers, Johanna JM Takkenberg. Bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement in nonelderly adults a systematic review, meta-analysis, and microsimulation. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2019;12:1-11.
- Huygens SA, Etnel JRG, Hanif M, Bekkers JA, Ogers AJJC, Rutten-van Mölken MPMH, Takkenberg JJM. Bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement in elderly patients: meta-analysis and microsimulation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018 Oct 22(18):2794-6.
- Ozaki S. Pathophysiology of calcification of bioprosthetic heart valves: an experimental investigation. Acta Biomed Lovaniensia. 2001 Jun 11:238.
- H.T. Bahnson, F.C. Spencer, E.F. Busse, F.W. Davis, Cusp replacement and coronary artery perfusion in open operations on the aortic valve. Annals Surg. 1960;152:494-503.
- Duran C, Gallo R, Naresh K. Aortic valve replacement with autologous pericardium: surgical technique. J Card Surg. 1995;10:1-9.
- KM John Chan, BMedSci (Hons), BMBS, MSc, FRCS CTh, a Shelley Rahman-Haley, Tarun K Mittal, Jemyrr A Gavino, Gilles D Dreyfus. Truly stentless autologous pericardial aortic valve replacement: An alternative to standard aortic valve replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;141(1): 276-83.
- Mercer JL, Benedicty M, Bahnson HT. The geometry and construction of the aortic leaflet. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1973;65:511-8.
- Swanson M, Clark RE. Dimensions and geometric relationships of the human aortic valve as a function of pressure. Circ Res. 1974;35:871-82.
- Silver MA, Roberts WC. Detailed anatomy of the normally functioning aortic valve in hearts of normal and increased weight. Am J Cardiol. 1985;55:454-61.
- Vahe C Gasparyan. Method of determination of aortic valve parameters for its reconstruction with autopericardium: An experimental study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000;119:386-7.
- Ozaki S, Kawase I, Yamashita H, Uchida S, Nozawa Y, Takatoh M. A total of 404 cases of aortic valve reconstruction with glutaraldehyde-treated autologous pericardium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147(1):301-6.
- Al Halees Z, Al Shahid M, Al Sanei A, Sallehuddin A, Duran C. Up to 16 years follow-up of aortic valve reconstruction with pericardium: a stentless readily available cheap valve? Eur J Cardio-Thoracic Surg. 2005 Aug;28(2):200-5.
- Ozaki S, Kawase I, Yamashita H, Uchida S, Takatoh M, Hagiwara S, Kiyohara N. Aortic valve reconstruction using autologous pericardium for aortic stenosis. Circ J. 2015;79(7):1504-10.