ANTI–DIPHTHERIA PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL–METABOLITES COMPLEXES OF LACTOBACTERIA AND SACCHAROMYCES PROBIOTIC STRAINS
SE “I. Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology of NAMS of Ukraine”, Kharkiv, Ukraine
Antimicrobial properties of structural components and vital
activity products of probiotic strains of Lactobacillus rhamnosus
GG and Saccharomyces boulardii against the individual
representatives of pathogenic agents of diphtheria and
nonpathogenic corynebacteria were investigated in vitro and
in vivo. Disintegrats (structural components) were obtained
with low–frequency ultrasonic treatment of probiotic cells of
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG or Saccharomyces boulardii.
Metabolites were obtained using the author’s method by
cultivating lactobacteria and saccharomycetes in their own
disintegrates, and their combination – in the disintegrate of
lactobacteria. In tests in vitro, the filtrates of lactobacteria
metabolites compounds, if applied in a sowing test-culture dose
(0,5 units on the McFarland scale, diluted 10 times) within two
hours of exposure, manifested bactericidal properties (100%)
for toxicogenic corynebacteria (n=10). The filtrate of saccharomycetes
structural components and metabolites showed less
activity (80%) on vitality indicators of toxic Corynebacterium
genus representatives (n = 10). The combined cultivation of L.
rhamnosus GG and S. boulardii in the ultrasound disintegration
of probiotic lactobacteria cells led to increase in antimicrobial
activity of a combination of metabolites for pathogenic corynebacteria.
In tests in vivo on guinea pigs, antimicrobial activity
of lactobacteria metabolites and a combination of lactobacteria
with saccharomycetes metabolites was established. Also, their
efficacy for local treatment (three times a day during a week)
of diphtheria infection of the eye was proved. The results
obtained, can be used for development on the basis of Lactobacillus
and Saccharomyces antimicrobial structural–metabolites
complexes for prevention of asymptomatic forms of diphtheria
infection, sanitation of diphtheria carriers and an additional
local treatment of diphtheria of the eye.
metabolites; structural components; antimicrobial properties; diphtheria; Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG; Saccharomyces boulardii.
- Balabekyan TR, Karapetyan KJ, Khachatryan TV, Khachatryan G. Antimicrobial activity of preparations after combined cultivation of lactic acid bacteria and yeast strains. JAnim Physiol andAnim Nutr. 2018;102(4):933-8. [Russian].
- Isayenko OY, Knysh OV, Babych YM, Ryzhkova TN, Dyukareva GI. Effect of disintegrates and metabolites of Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Saccharomyces boulardii on biofilms of antibiotic resistant conditionally pathogenic and pathogenic bacteria. Regul Mech Biosyst. 2019;10(1):3-8. [Ukrainian].
- Sahib FH, Aldujaili NH, Alrufae MM. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Saccharomyces boulardii and study their biological activities. Eur J Pharm Med Res. 2017;4(9):65-74.
- Sarika AR, Lipton AP, Aishwarya MS. Bacteriocin production by a new isolate of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GP1 under different culture conditions. Adv J Food Sci. Technol. 2010;2(5):291-7.
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Vashchenko V, Zachepylo SV, Polyanska VP, Kovalenko OI, Balak OK. inventor; DU«IMI NAMN», assignee. A method of obtaining a combination of metabolites of probiotic strains of fungi and bacteria. Ukrainian patent. UA 126603. 2018 Jun. 25. [Ukrainian].
- Semenov AV. Antagonism as a result of inter-microbial relations. Bull Orenburg Sci Center UB RAS (electronic journal). 2013;31:1-7. [Russian].
- Ten threats to human health this year. World Health Organization. Geneva, Switzerland. 2018.
- Weekly Epidemiological Bulletin. World Health Organization. 2018; 23(93): 329-44.
- Kostyukova NN, Behalo VA. Diphtheria bacteriocarrier. Epidemiol i Vaccinopr. 2018; 17(5): 60-70. [Russian].
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Kivva FV, Horbach TV, Balak OK. inventor;DU«IMI NAMN», assignee. Method of producing metabolites of probiotic bacterial strains. Ukrainian patent UA 123122. 2018 Feb. 12. [Ukrainian].
- On approval of methodical instructions «Determination of sensitivity of microorganisms to antibacterial drugs». Order Ministry of health of Ukraine. Pub. No. 167. (April 5, 2007). [Ukrainian].
- About measures to improve the bacteriological diagnosis of diphtheria in Ukraine. Order Ministry of health of Ukraine. Pub. No 192. (August 3, 1999). [Ukrainian].
- Ali MA, Janson JC, Ali E. Antimicrobial potential of Saccharomyces boulardii extracts and fractions. J App Sci Res. 2012; 8(8):4537-43.
- Liévin-Le MV, Servin AL. Anti-infective activities of Lactobacillus strains in the human intestinal microbiota: from probiotics to gastrointestinal anti-infectious biotherapeutic agents. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014;27(2):167-99.
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Falko OV, Prokopyuk VYu, Prokopyuk OS. Cytotoxicity structural-metabolitic complexes of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Saccharomyces boulardii. Fiziol Zh. 2019;65(5):40-8. [Ukrainian].
- Ubels JL, Edelhauser HF, Austin KH. Healing of experimental corneal wounds treated with topically applied retinoids. Am J Ophthalmol. 1983;95(3):353-8.
- Filosofova T. The pathogenesis of carriage of diphtheria infection. (electronic journal). [Russian].
- Kovalevsky E. Ophthalmology. Effective medicine. (electronic journal). [Russian].