АNTIOXIDANT DEFENSE SYSTEM STATE IN THE LIVER AND THE MYOCARDIUM OF RATS UNDER CONDITIONS OF ACUTE HYPOXIA-HYPERCAPNIA
S.V. Khyzhnyak1, V.S. Morozovа1, S.V. Midyk1, T.V. Poltavchenko2, A.A. Kaplia1
- National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
- National University of Water Management and Environmental Management, Rivne, Ukraine
The prooxidant-antioxidant state of rat tissues in the formation
of adaptive processes in acute hypoxia-hypercapnia with lower
body temperature was evaluated. The decrease of the content of
2-thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in liver and
myocardial tissues by 48.2 and 51.0%, respectively is shown,
it indicates the oxidative processes inhibition in the tissues.
The liver superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity decreased by
24.2% mainly due to its Cu, Zn-SOD molecular form and
catalase activity increased by 29.4%. In the myocardium the
activity of SOD increased by 62.7% mainly due to Mn-SOD
molecular form and catalase activity decreased by 21.9%.
Тhe studied parameters return to the control values 24 h after
withdrawal of the effect of the hypoxia-hypercapnia. It was
shown that differently directed changes of the glutathione
peroxidase activity and reduced glutathione content in tissues
play a compensatory role in hypoxia-hypercapnia.It is
concluded that during acute hypoxia-hypercapnia the course
of oxidative processes in the rat’s body is controlled by the
antioxidant defense system. The possible regulatory role of
hypercapnia in these conditions is discussed.
hypercapnia; hypoxia; liver; myocardium; superoxide dismutase; catalase; glutathione.
- Timofeev NN. Hypobiosis and cryobiosis: The past, present and future. Moscow: Inform-Znanie; 2005. [Russian].
- Melnytchuk SD, Melnytchuk DO. The animal hypobiosis state (molecular mechanisms and practical implications for the agriculture and medicine). Kyiv: NULES press; 2007. [Ukrainian].
- Kolomiytseva IK. Lipids in mammalian hibernation and artificial hypobiosis of mammals. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2011;76 (12):1291-9.
- Baraboi VA. Bioantioxidants. Kyiv: Kniga Plus; 2006. [Ukrainian].
- Sena LA, Chandel NS. Physiological roles of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species. Mol Cell. 2012; 48(2): 158-67.
- Gonchar OO, Mankovska IM. Mitochondrial thioldisulfide system for acute hypoxia and hypoxic-hyperoxic adaptation. Ukr Biochem J. 2014;86(1):93-100. [Ukrainian].
- Melnytchuk SD, Khyzhnyak SV, Morozova VS, Stepanova LI, Umanskaya AA. The energy function of rat cardiac mitochondria under artificial hybobiosis. Fiziol Zh. 2015;61(2):15-22. [Ukrainian].
- Stalnaya ID. Garishvili TG. Method for the determination of malonic dialdehyde using thiobarbituric acid. In: Modern methods in biochemistry. Moscow; 1977. [Russian].
- Misra HP, Fridovich I. The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 1972; 247(10): 3170-5.
- Koroliyuk MA, Ivanova LI, Maiorova IG, Tokarev VE. A method of determining catalase activity. Lab Delo. 1988; 1:16-9. [Russian].
- Beauchamp C, Fridovich I. Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels. Anal Biochem. 1971; 44(1):276-87.
- Vlasova SN, Shabunina EI, Pereslegina IA. The activity of the glutathione-dependent enzymes of erythrocytes in chronic liver diseases in children. Lab Delo. 1990;8:19- [Russian].
- Rahman I, Kode A, Biswas SK. Assay for quantitative determination of glutathione and glutathione disulphide levels using enzymatic recycling method. Nature Protocols. 2007;1:3159-65.
- Sanjuan-Pla A, Cervera AM, Apostolova N, Garcia-Bou R, Víctor VM, Murphy MP, McCreath KJ. A targeted antioxidant reveals the importance of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species in the hypoxic signaling of HIF- 1alpha. FEBS Lett. 2005;579(12):2669-74.
- Mel'nychuk SD, Kuz'menko AI, Margitich VM, Govseeva NN, Gorid'ko TN, Hulaia NM. Effect of carbon dioxide on free-radical processes as affected by artificial hypobiosis in rats. Ukr Biokhim Zh. 1998;70(1):87-94. [Russian].
- Gudkova OO, Latyshko NV, Gudkova LV, Mikhailovsky VO. Rat liver catalase under artificial hypobiosis conditions. Biopolym Cell. 2005;21(1):28-34. [Ukrainian].
- Fridovich I. Superoxide radical and superoxide dismutases. Annu Rev Biochem. 1995; 64:97-112.
- Astaeva MD, Klichkhanov NK. Oxidative modification of proteins and antioxidant activity of gopher blood during induced awakening from hibernation. Izvestiya RAN. Seriy biologycheskay. 2009. 6:662-8. [Russian].
- Vesela A, Wilhelm J. The role of carbon dioxide in free radical reactions of the organism. Physiol Res. 2002;51(4):335-9.
- Andrekopoulos C, Zhang H, Joseph J, Kalivendi S, Kalyanaraman B. Bicarbonate enhances α-synuclein oligomerization and nitration: intermediacy of carbonate radical anion and nitrogen dioxide radical. Biochem J. 2004; 378(Pt2):435-47.