CYTOTOXICITY STRUCTURALMETABOLITIC COMPLEXES OF LACTOBACILLUS RHAMNOSUS GG AND SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII
O.Y. Isayenko1, O.V. Knysh1, O.V. Falko2, V.Y. Prokopyuk2, O.S. Prokopyuk2
- SE “I. Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology of NAMS of Ukraine”, Kharkiv, Ukraine
- Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine
The effect of the structural-metabolic complexes of
Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Saccharomyces boulardii on the
viability of test cells – mouse embryo fibroblasts and mouse
splenocytes – was investigated by their metabolic activity.
Disintegrates, which are structural components, obtained
through the low-frequency ultrasonic treatment of the probiotic
cells of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG or Saccharomyces
boulardii. Metabolites obtained by the author’s method by
cultivating lactobacilli and saccharomycetes in their own
disintegrate, and their combination - in the disintegrate of
lactobacilli. The cytotoxicity of disintegrate and metabolites
was studied using tests in vitro characterizing the metabolic
activity of cells. The content of the filtrate in the incubation
medium at a concentration of 5% does not alter the metabolic
activity of both studied types of test cells using different
oxidative indicators (MTT and Alamar Blue®). The increase
in the content of the studied filtrate in the incubation medium
to 20% is accompanied by statistically significant inhibition
of the metabolic activity of embryonic fibroblasts (from 56.19
± 1.4 to 88.73 ± 8.6%) and mouse splenocytes (from 52.63 ± 0.7 to 80.5 ± 6.8%) depending on active cell-free product. The
obtained results of the study of cytotoxicity and determination
of the concentrationdependent nature of the influence of
disintegrates and the metabolites of Lactobacillus rhamnosus
and Saccharomyces boulardii, obtained by the author’s method
without using traditional nutrient media, can be used to create
antimicrobial agents of the new generation.
embryonic fibroblasts; mouse splenocytes; MTT; Alamar Blue®; metabolic activity.
- Virchenko OV, Falalyeyeva TM, Beregova TV, Spivak MY, Lazarenko LM, Demchenko OM. Effects of mono-, poly- and composite probiotics on the ulceration caused by restraint stress. Fiziol Zh. 2015;61(1):35-41. [Ukrainian].
- Riss TL, Moravec RA, Niles AL, Duellman S, Benink HA, Worzella TJ, Minor L. Cell viability assays. USA: Eli Lilly & Co and National Centre for Advancing Translational Sciences; 2016.
- Anikina LV, Pukhov SA, Dubrovskaya ES. Comparative determination of cell viability using MTT and resazurin. Basic Res.2014;12(7):1423-7. [Russian].
- Präbst K, Engelhardt H, Ringgeler S, Hübner H. Basic Colorimetric Proliferation Assays: MTT, WST, and Resazurin. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1601:1-17.
- Atlas RM. Handbook of Microbiological Media. 4th edition. London New York: Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2010.
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Kivva FV, Horbach TV, Balak OK. inventor; DU«IMI NAMN», assignee. Method of producing metabolites of probiotic bacterial strains. Ukrainian patent UA 123122.2018 Feb.12. [Ukrainian].
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Vashchenko V, Zachepylo SV, Polyanska VP, Kovalenko OI, Balak OK. inventor; DU«IMI NAMN», assignee. A method of obtaining a combination of metabolites of probiotic strains of fungi and bacteria. Ukrainian patent. UA 126603. 2018 Jun. 25. [Ukrainian].
- Jozefczuk J, Drews K, Adjaye J. Preparation of mouse embryonic fibroblast cells suitable for culturing human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells. J Vis Exp. 2012;64:3854.
- Isayenko YeYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Kivva FV, Balak AK, Naboychenko YeA. The influence of metabolic products of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG on the test-culture of Staphylococcus and Corynebacterium. Bull Probl Biol Med. 2017;2(136):246-51. [Ukrainian].
- Isayenko OYu, Knysh OV, Babych YeM, Kompaniyets AM, Osetsky OI, Polyanska VP, Zachepylo SV. Influence of storage of probiotic broth culture filtrates on their antimicrobial activity. Probl Kriobiol Kriomed. 2017;27(4):311-21. [Ukrainian].
- Isayenko OY, Knysh OV, Babych YM, Ryzhkova TN, Dyukareva GI. Effect of disintegrates and metabolites of Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Saccharomyces boulardii on biofilms of antibiotic resistant conditionally pathogenic and patogenic bacteria. Regul Mech Biosyst. 2019;10(1):3-8. [Ukrainian].
- Maghsood F, Mirshafiey A, Farahani MM, Modarressi MH, Jafari P, Motevaseli E. Dual Effects of cell free supernatants from Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in regulation of MMP-9 by up-regulating TIMP-1 and down-regulating CD147 in PMA differentiated THP-1 cells. Cell J. 2018;19(4):559-68.
- Sadeghi-Aliabadi H, Mohammadi F, Fazeli H, Mirlohi M. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum A7 with probiotic potential on colon cancer and normal cells proliferation in comparison with a commercial strain. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2014;17(10):815-19.
- Orlando A, Messa C, Linsalata M, Cavallini A, Russo F. Effects of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG on proliferation and polyamine metabolism in HGC-27 human gastric and DLD-1 colonic cancer cell lines. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2009;31(1):108-16.
- Sultana R, McBain, AJ, O'Neilla SA. Strain-dependent augmentation of tight-junction barrier function in human primary epidermal keratinocytes by Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium Lysates. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79 (16):4887-894.
- Lee SK, Kim HJ, Chi SG, Jang JY. Bioflor suppresses expression of Interleukin-8 in HT-29 cell. Intestinal Res. 2004;2(2):96-101.
- Aishwarya R, Jenifer Joseph. Anti-cancer activity of the microorganism Saccharomyces boulardii in probiotics. Ind J Sci. 2016;23(87):818-22.
- Boniadi F, Tukmechi A, Nejati V. Comparative study on the effect of obtained cell wall and cytoplasmic fraction from Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Saccharomyces boulardii on k562 cell line. Pharmaceut Sci. 2012;18(1):69-78.
- Jacques AB. inventor; Bauer. Immunomodulatory extracts from lactobacillus bacteria and methods of manufacturing and use thereof. US patent. US 20100055082 A1. 2008.
- Shafran LM, Mokienko AV, Petrenko NF, Gozhenko AI, Nasibulin BA. To the substantiation of hormesis as fundamental biomedical paradigm (review of literature data and results of own researches). Modern Probl Toxicol. 2010;49-50(2-3):13-23. [Russian].
- Fakruddin M, Hossain MN, Ahmed MM. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Saccharomyces cerevisiae IFST062013, a potential probiotic. BMC Compl Alternative Med. 2017;17:64.