Changes in biochemical parameters and mitochondrial factor in blood of amateur athletes under influence of marathon running
Y.D. Vinnіchuk1, A.O. Polischchuk1, Y.V. Goshovska2, O.S. Sokolova1, V.F. Sagach2, S.B. Drozdovska1
- National University of Ukraine on Physical Education and Sport, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Detailed laboratory tests help to evaluate the body condition of athletes who accomplish marathon distance,
choose right means of recovery, and thus prevent the development of pathology. The biochemical parameters
of blood were described at rest, after finish and after 24 h of recovery. The opening of mitochondrial
permeability transition pores as a possible marker of muscle fatigue was tested as mitochondrial factor
release (increased OD of blood serum in UV diapason). Our results showed that biochemical markers that
need to be controlled in amateur marathon runners include metabolism regulation indicators – aspartate
aminotransferase activity (GOT), total creatine kinase (CK NAK), and their ratio (CK NAK/GOT). The GOT
level significantly increased by 1.8 times after the marathon and by 2.4 times after 24 h of recovery. The
level of CK NAK and CK NAK/GOT ratio after 24 h of recovery increased by 11.7 and 4.8 times, respectively.
The increased activity of sarcoplasmic GOT and CK NAK enzymes, the CK NAK/GOT ratio can indicate
the likelihood of skeletal muscle damage. The mitochondrial factor was not detected in the blood neither
in resting-state nor after marathon running. These data support the conclusion made after analysis of the
biochemical indexes about the satisfactory energy balance of amateur athletes tested.
marathon; amateur runners; biochemical homeostasis; mitochondrial permeability transition pore.
- Wilmore JH, Costill DL. Sport physiology. K: Olympic literature; 1997. [Russian].
- Nikolaidis P, Rosemann T, Knechtle B. A Brief Review of Personality in Marathon Runners: The Role of Sex, Age and Performance Level. Sports (Basel). 2018; 6(3):E 99.
- Knechtle B, Nikolaidis P. Physiology and Pathophysiology in Ultra-Marathon Running. Front Physiol. 2018;9(634):1-33.
- Klochko LI. Functional fatigue and recovery in conditions of maximum physical training in the marathon running. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports. 2007;6:132-5. [Russian].
- Griffiths EJ, Halestrap AP. Mitochondrial non-specific pores remain closed during cardiac ischaemia, but open upon reperfusion. Biochem J. 1995;307 (Pt1):93-8.
- Sagach VF, Shymanskaya TV, Nadtochiy SM. Factor released under heart reperfusion may be the marker of opening of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore. Fiziol Zh. 2003;49(4):7-13.
- Nadtochiy SM, Nauduri D, Shimanskaya TV, Sagach VF, Brookes PS. Purine release: a protective signaling mechanism of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore in ischemia. Fiziol Zh. 2008;54(6):5-14.
- Sagach VF, Dmitrieva AV, Bubnova JA, Maksimenko VB, Knyshov GV. Using marker of the mitochondrial pore opening in diagnostics of patients with myocardial ischemic lesions. Fiziol Zh. 2009;55(1):12-8.
- Sagach VF, Boguslavskiy AY, Dmitrieva AV, Nadtochiy SN. The role of NO and mitochondrial permeability transition pore in changes of oxygen consumption in the working skeletal muscle. Fiziol Zh. 2004;50(2):19-26.
- Frassl W, Kowoll R, Katz N, Speth M, Stangl A, Brechtel L, et al. Cardiac markers (BNP, NT-pro-BNP, Troponin I, Troponin T, in female amateur runners before and up until three days after a marathon. Clin Lab. 2008;54(3-4):81-7.
- Roth H, Leithauser R, Doppelmayr H, Doppelmayr M, Finkernagel H, von Duvillard S, et al. Cardiospecificity of the 3rd generation cardiac troponin T assay during and after a 216 km ultra-endurance marathon run in Death Valley. Clin Res Cardiol. 2007;96(6):359-64.
- Zaleski AL, Pescatello LS, Thompson PD, Taylor BA. Protective effect of compression socks in a marathon runner with genetic predisposition to thrombophilia due to Factor V Leiden. Phys Sportsmed. 2005;43(3):324-7.
- Koriagina YV, Simonova KY. Current problems of physiology long-distance running (analysis of foreign research laboratories for period 2010-2016). Ural Siberia Bull Sports Science. 2016;4(12):20-5. [Russian].
- Niculin BA, Rodionova II. Biochemical control in sport: scientific method allowance. M.: Sov sport, 2011. [Russian].
- Ermolaeva EN, Krivihizhina LV. Damage indicators for physical training of different intensity. Fundamental research. 2015;1:1815-21. [Russian].
- Gomes R, Santos R, Nosaka K, Moreira A, Miyabara E, Aoki M. Muscle damage after a tennis match in young players. Biol Sport. 2014;31(1):27-32.
- Hagstrom AD, Shorter KA. Creatine kinase, neuromuscular fatigue, and the contact codes of football: A systematic review and meta-analysis of pre- and post-match differences. Eur J Sport Sci. 2018;18(9):1234-44.
Lynn A, Garner S, Nelson N, Simper T, Hall A, Ranchordas MK. Effect of bilberry juice on indices of muscle damage and inflammation in runners completing a half-marathon: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018;2;15:22
- Klapcinska B, Waskiewicz Z, Chrapusta S, SadowskaKrępa E, Czuba M, Langfort J. Metabolic responses to a 48-h ultra-marathon run in middle-aged male amateur runners. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2019;113(11):2781-93.
- Chirkin AA. Metabolism and functional status of athletes aged 12-18 years: Proc. VI Intern. Sceitific Conf. «Health for all». Pinsk, Belarus, 2015;365-8. [Russian].
- Jastzebski Z, Zychowska M, Jastrebska M, Prusik K, Prusik K, Kortas J, et al. Changes in blood morphology and chosen biochemical parameters in ultra-marathon runners during a 100-km run in relation to the age and speed of runners. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2016;29(5):801-14.
- Lippi G, Salvagno G, Danese E, Tarperi C, La Torre A, Guidi GS, et al. The baseline serum value of α-amylase is a significant predictor of distance running performance. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2015 Feb;53(3):469-76.
- Iordanskaya FA., Cepkova NK. Blood phosphorus: diagnostic and prognostic value in monitoring the functional state of elite athletes. Sports Bcience Bull. 2011;4:30-3. [Russian].
- Nechvyadovich AI, Nechay EV, Asipovskaya TS. Automated system "Biohim-expert" as a unified method of biochemical assessment of physical and functional preparedness of elite athletes. Minsk: RNPC sport, 2016. [Russian].
- Shimanskaia TV, Dobrovol'skiĭ FV, Vavilova GL, Strutinskaia NA, Rudyk EV, Sagach VF. No-dependent modulation of the sensitivity of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore opening under ischemiareperfusion of the isolated heart. Ross Fiziol Zh im I. M. Sechenova. 2009;95(1):28-37.
- Bohdanovs'ka NV, Kotsiuruba AV, Malikov MV. Nitric oxide synthesis during different stages of competition period in well-trained athletes. Fiziol Zh. 2011;57(4):82-9.