Сomplex treatment of iatrogenic occlusal disorders of the tooth-jaw system
O.G. Tereshchuk, I.A. Shynchukovskyi, V.P. Nespryadko, N.S. Khrol, R.S. Palyvoda, A.V. Oleynik
Bogomolets National Medical University, Kyiv, Ukraine
The aim of the study was to improve occlusal parameters, normalization of masticatory muscles function
by correcting re-prosthetic treatment of patients with partial and total ceramic prostheses using different
occlusal splints. The algorithm of re-prosthetic approach to occlusal adjustment and reconstruction of
mandible position in patients with iatrogenic occlusal disorders was proposed. The clinical groups included
45 patients with iatrogenic occlusal disorders who used removable and fixed ceramic dental prostheses with
simplified or detailed design of occlusal surface. The time of treatment using different occlusal splints was
from 2 to 3.5 months what had been mentioned in patients’ past case histories. Symptomatic and pathogenetic
therapy was provided for additional correction of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) functions by
anti-inflammatory drugs, vitamins C, D and calcium food supplements, kinesiotherapy and magnetotherapy.
It was 73.6% rate of satisfactory results of treatment. Such algorithm of re-prosthetic treatment allows
to normalize bioelectric activity of masticatory muscles, functional status of TMJ and occlusal relations
of the teeth. Its efficiency was proven by X-Ray and functional diagnostics methods (electromyography of
masticatory muscles, T-Scan III computerized occlusal analysis).
re-prosthetic treatment; temporomandibular joint; ceramic prosthesis; occlusal splint; electromyography
- Bhushan M.G. Mistakes and complications in dental prosthetics and their prevention. Chisinau: RAKIL-Sirius; 2000 [Russian].
- Autonomic dysfunction. Clinic, diagnostics, treatment. Moscow: Medinform Agency; 2003 [Russian].
- Baevsky R.M. Prediction of normal state and pathology. Moscow: Medicine; 1979 [Russian].
- Tkachenko V.A., Kozlov O.E., Kozlov E.V. Diseases as a consequence of violations of adaptation abilities. Dnepropetrovsk: Monolith; 2010 [Russian].
- Grinin V.M. Maksimovskiĭ Iu.M. The characteristics of formulating a diagnosis in diseases of temporomandibular joint. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 1998;77(5):19-22 [Russian].
- Agapov V.S., Shulakov V.V., Bardenshteyn L.M. Medicamental psycho-correction of patients with pain dysfunction syndrome in the maxillofacial region. Proc. scientific abstracts. Proceedings of "Modern problems of dentistry" Conference to the 70-anniversary of V.N. Kopeikin. Moscow, 1999. p. 22-23 [Russian].
- Borisenko L.G. Dental Quality of Life Index. Dental Journal. 2004;1:28-29 [Russian].
- Bulycheva E.A. Justification psychosomatic disorders of the temporomandibular joint, complicated functions masticatory muscles and comprehensive treatment. Stomatologiia. 2006;6:58-61 [Russian].
- Ruff CB, Holt B, Trinkaus E. Who's afraid of the big bad Wolff?: "Wolff's law" and bone functional adaptation. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2006;129:484–98.
- Soltz MA, Ateshian GA. Experimental Verification and Theoretical Prediction of Cartilage Interstitial Fluid Pressurization at an Impermeable Contact Interface in Confined Compression. J Biomech. 1998;31:927–934.
- Lips P, Hosking D, Lippuner K. The prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy amongst women with osteoporosis: an international epidemiological investigation. J Intern Med. 2006;260:245–254.
- Lappe JM, Travers-Gustafson D, Davies KM, Recker RR, Heaney RP. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85(6):1586-1591.
- Skalska-Izdebska R, Zwolińska J, Weres A, et al. Możliwości wykorzystania zmiennego pola magnetycznego w leczeniu schorzeń i urazów narządu ruchu. Zamojskie Studia i Materiały. 2006;8:167-173.
- Genesan K, Gengadharan AC, Balachandran C, et al. Low frequency pulsed electromagnetic field - a viable alternative therapy for arthritis. Indian J Exp Biol. 2009;12:939-948.
- Zinchuk V.V., Lepeev V.O. Magnetic field effect on blood oxygen transport function under impact of a donor of hydrogen sulphide. Fiziol Zh. 2017;63(4):30-36 [Russian].
- Wang HY, Zhai LJ, Qian M. The internal energies of Heisenberg magnetic systems. J Magn Magn Mater. 2014;354:309-316.
- Richmond S.J. Magnet therapy for the relief of pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis (CAMBRA): A randomised placebo-controlled crossover trial. Trials. 2008;9:53.
- Suryakant C.D., Dinesh N., Jaiprakash R.R., Sushant M.P. Applications of applied kinesiology in dental practice. Turk J Kin, 2015; 1(1): 11-14.