Standardization of platelet aggregation tests to evaluate condition of hemostasis
L.V. Natrus1, P.A. Chernovol1, A.V. Kopchak2, V.A. Rybak3, T.I.Panova1
- Research Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine of Bogomolets National Medical University, Ukraine
- Dental Medical Centre at of Bogomolets National Medical University, Ukraine
- Kyiv region center of maxilla-facial surgery and dentistry, Ukraine
The aim of the study was to develop the method of quantitative evaluation of the platelets state in patient
based on their aggregation and implement it to the medical practice. The method is based on analysis of
the following parameters: strength of the created clot, its disaggregation and calculation of the quantitative
index, i.e. platelet functional activity index (PFAI). Than authors evaluated the aggregation features of
platelets by PFAI in combination with their quantitative content in peripheral blood followed by identification
of normal, hyperactive and hypoactive platelet unit of hemostasis. Eventually, the new algorithm for plasma
rich growth factors application was developed and implemented based on features mentioned above. It
can be used for treatment of patients at the departments for maxillofacial surgery and dentistry, providing
good or satisfactory results in the absolute majority of patients. Evaluation of platelet unit of hemostasis
functional state based on PFAI provides the opportunity to standardize the platelet aggregation method.
The suggested method is based on the biological principle of maintaining the most important constants
of homeostasis and can be recommended for the development of more effective therapeutic approaches in
clinical practice using the regenerative potential of platelets.
platelet functional activity, disaggregation, platelet, plasma, rich in growth factors.
- Bloom AL. Physiology of blood coagulation. Haemostasis. 1990;20 Suppl 1:14-29.
- Arnout J, Hoylaerts MF, Lijnen HR. Haemostasis. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2006;(176 Pt 2):1-41.
- Kottke-Marchant K, Corcoran G. The Laboratory Diagnosis of Platelet Disorders. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 2002; 126 (2):133-46. 4. Monroe DM, Hoffman M, Roberts HR. Platelets and Thrombin Generation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002; 22:1381-9.
- Swieringa F, Spronk HMH., Heemskerk JWM, van der Meijden PEJ. Integrating platelet and coagulation activation in fibrin clot formation. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2018; 20;2(3):450-60.
- de Witt SM, Verdoold R, Cosemans JM, Heemskerk JW. Insights into platelet-based control of coagulation. Thromb Res. 2014;133 Suppl 2:S139-48.
- Bennett JS. Regulation of integrins in platelets. Biopolymers. 2015; 104(4):323-33.
- Femia EA, Pugliano M, Podda G, et al. Comparison of different procedures to prepare platelet-rich plasma for studies of platelet aggregation by light transmission aggregometry. Platelets. 2012; 23(1):7-10.
- Breddin HK. Can platelet aggregometry be standardized? Platelets. 2005;16 (3-4):151-8.
- Cattaneo M, Hayward CP, Moffat KA, Pugliano MT, Liu Y, Michelson AD. Results of a worldwide survey on the assessment of platelet function by light transmission aggregometry: a report from the platelet physiology subcommittee of the SSC of the ISTH. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 7: 1029.
Cattaneo M, Cerletti C, Harrison P, Recommendations for the Standardization of Light Transmission Aggregometry: A Consensus of the Working Party from the Platelet Physiology Subcommittee of SSC. ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. 2013; 10;
Harrison P, MackieI, Mumford A, Briggs C, Liesner R, Winter M, MachinS. British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Guidelines for the laboratory investigation of heritable disorders of platelet function. British Journal of Haematology, 2011;155:30-44
- Hayward CP, Moffat KA, Raby A, Israels S, Plumhoff E, Flynn G, Zehnder JL. Development of North American consensus guidelines for medical laboratories that perform and interpret platelet function testing using light transmission aggregometry. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134(6):955-63.
- Sidorkin VG, Chuloshnikova IA, Sidorkina AN, Presnyakova MV. Sposob otsenki agregatsionnykh svoystv trombotsitov. Patent na izobreteniye. 2003; RU2213976C2. [Russian].
- Kholmanskikh NA, Chistjakova GN, Pestrjaeva LA, Mazurov AD. Method of determining platelet functional activity. Patent na izobreteniye. 2012; RU2470303C1; [Russian].
- Kozlov AA., Natrus LV., Chernovol PA., et al. Laboratornaya diahnostyka systemy hemostazu. Uchebnoe posobye. Moskva: Lyterra. 2011;136. [Russian].
- Miloradov MJu, Emanuilova NV, Masina IV. Effect of platelet and platelet aggregation on RBC interaction. Yaroslavsʹkyy pedahohichnyy vistnyk. 2013; 3(4) :209-14. [Russian].
- Kahner BN, Shankar H, Murugappan S, Prasad GL, Kunapuli SP. Nucleotide receptor signaling in platelets. J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4(11):2317-26.
- Giusti I, D'Ascenzo S, Mancò A, Di Stefano G, Di Francesco M, Rughetti A, Dal Mas A, Properzi G, Calvisi V, Dolo V. Platelet concentration in platelet-rich plasma affects tenocyte behavior in vitro. Biomed Res Int. 2014.
- Pavlychuk T, Kopchak A, Rybak V, Natrus L. Factors that influence the content and functional properties of platelets in plasma-rich in growth factors (PRGF). The World Congress in Periodontology «EuroPerio» 2018. Amsterdam. PD207.