EFFECT OF PRODUCTION NO FOS-IMMUNOREACTIVITY IN THE BRAINSTEM CATECHOLAMINERGIC NEURONS OF RATS REALIZED MOTIVATED OPERANT MOVEMENTS
O.P. Mankivska1, O.V. Vlasenko2, V.O. Maisky1, A.V. Maznychenko1
- Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Pirogov National Medical University, MPH of Ukraine, Vinnitsa, Ukraine
The aim of the study was to reveal the changes of Fos-immunoreactivity
in zones of localization of catecholaminergic
(CA) groups of brainstem cells in rats realized food-procuring
movements in the cases of normal functioning and during
inhibition of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) system
using a selective blocker 7-Nitroindazole (7-NI). A marked
increase of c-Fos expression was registered mostly in the
neurons of A1, A5, A6, and A7 groups during the performance
of operant movements. In the А5, А6 and A7 CA groups, we
observed a maximum number of Fos-ir neurons, as compared
with the control values, with contralateral predominance of
Fos-immunoreactivity. It is supposed that the activation of the
brainstem CA neurons during realization of motor program
may be associated with an increase of inhibitory sympathoadrenal
influences on muscle spindles and proprioceptors and
the changes of the peripheral vascular tone. This shows the
direct influence of the autonomic nervous system in modulation
of motor acts during realization of operant movements
in animals. The preliminary injection of a selective blocker
of nNOS 7-NI to the rats, that realized food-procuring movements,
resulted in the further increase of Fos-immunoreactivity
in the neurons of the above-mentioned CA groups. The highest
number of Fos-ir-cells was registered in A5 with marked
contralateral predominance of Fos-immunoreactivity. A similar
trend in the A6 and A7 cell groups was observed. Thus, it has
been revealed that the modulation of the level of nitric oxide
production can affect on the activity of neuronal networks of
the brainstem and spinal cord, which directly involved in the
regulation of motor acts.
operant reflex; с-Fos expression; catecholaminergic neurons; 7-Nitroindazole
- Hellström F, Roatta S, Thunberg J, Passatore M, Djupsjöbacka M. Responses of muscle spindles in feline dorsal neck muscles to electrical stimulation of the cervical sympathetic nerve. Exp Brain Res. 2005;165:328-42.
- Radovanovic D, Peikert K, Lindström M, Domellöf FP. Sympathetic innervation of human muscle spindles. J Anat. 2015;226:542-8.
- Sheng M, Greenberg ME. The regulation and function of c-fos and other immediate early genes in the nervous system. Neuron. 1990;4:477-85.
- Ungerstedt U. Stereotaxic mapping of the monoamine pathways in the rat brain. Acta Physiol Scand Suppl. 1971;367:1-48.
- Maisky VA, Doroshenko NZ. Catecholamine projections to the spinal cord in the rat and their relationship to central cardiovascular neurons. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1991;34:119-28.
- Ross CA, Armstrong DM, Ruggiero DR, Pickel VM, Joh TH, Reis DJ. Adrenaline neurons in the rostral ventrolateral medulla innervate thoracic spinal cord: a combined immunocytochemical and retrograde transport demonstration. Neurosci Lett. 1981;25:257-62.
- Dampney RAL. Functional organization of central pathways regulating cardiovascular system. Physiol Rev. 1994;74:323-64.
- McCulloch PF, Panneton WM. Activation of brainstem catecholaminergic neurons during voluntary diving in rats. Brain Res. 2003;984:42-53.
- Nauli SM, Pearce WJ, Amer A, Maher TJ, Ally A. Effects of nitric oxide and GABA interaction within ventrolateral medulla on cardiovascular responses during static muscle contraction. Brain Res. 2001;922(2):234-42.
- Vlasenko OV, Buzyka TV, Maiskii VA, Pilyavskii AI, Maznychenko AV. Activation of Neurons of the Medullary Centers of the Autonomic Nervous System Related to Motivated Operant Movements Realized by Rats. Neurophysiology. 2011;42(5):325-37.
- Vlasenko OV, Man'kovskaya YeP, Maznychenko AV, Piliavskii AI, Maiskii VA. Fos immunoreactivity in the motor cortex of rats realizing operant movements: changes after systemic introduction of a NOS blocker. Neurophysiology. 2013;45(1):79-83.
- Loewy AD, McKellar S, Saper CB. Direct projections from the A5 catecholamine cell group to the intermediolateral cell column. Brain Res. 1979;174:309-14.
- Zagon A, Sanith AD. Monosynaptic projections from the rostral ventrolateral medulla oblongata to identified sympathetic preganglionic neurons. Neuroscience. 1993;265:149-55.
- Nazu M, Thippeswamy T. Nitric oxide signalling system in rat brain stem: immunocytochemical studies. Anat Histol Embryol. 2002;31(4):252-6.
- Krukoff TL. Central action of nitric oxide in regulation of autonomic function. Brain Res Rev. 1999;30:52-65.
- Shlosberg D, Buskila Y, Abu-Ghanem Y, Amitai Y. Spatiotemporal alterations of cortical network activity by selective loss of NOS-expressing interneurons. Front Neural Circ. 2012;6(3):1-11.
- Man'kovskaya YeP, Maisky VA, Vlasenko OV, Maznychenko AV. 7-Nitroindazole enhances c-Fos expression in spinal neurons in rats realizing operant movements. Acta Histochem. 2014;116:1427-33.
- Hsu S-M, Raine L, Fanger H. Use of avidin-biotinperoxidase complex (ABC) in immunoperoxidase techniques: a comparison between ABC and unlabelled antibody (PAP) procedures. J Histochem Cytochem. 1981;29:577-80.
- Paxinos G, Watson C. The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates. Acad Press New York, 1998.