CORRECTION OF BONE MARROW SYNDROME IN IRRADIATED MICE BY TRANSPLANTATION OF HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLS PRE-INCUBATED WITH THYMIC MULTIPOTENT STROMAL CELLS
K.I. Nikolska, G.M.Butenko
State Institute of Genetic and Regenerative Medicine of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv,Ukraine
The transplantation of hematopoietic stem (HSC) and progenitors
from bone marrow cells (BMC) and fetal liver cells
(FLC) was positively noted on the immune system parameters
of lethally irradiated mice. The development of bone marrow
syndrome was inhibited: the thymic mass and cellularity of
thymus and bone marrow increased substantially, the ability
of bone marrow stromal cells to form fibroblast colonies
increased. The natural cytotoxic and proliferative activity of
lymphocytes significantly increased. Pre-incubation of BMC
with thymic multipotent stromal cells (MSC) resulted in a
significant increase in immunological parameters. There was
observed a 35 % increase of in the spleen cell count, a 20 %
increase in the number of lymphocytes in peripheral blood,
stimulation by 17 % of natural cytotoxicity, 47 % proliferative
activity of T lymphocytes, 2.8 times synthesis of α/β- and 1.7-
fold γ-interferons, a 50 % increase in the amount of spontaneous
ФНПα and activation of antibody formation in 2.8 times.
FLCs induced by thymic MSCs showed significant activity in
some parameters. There was an increase of 10.3 times in mass
and 6.8 times in thymic cell count, 52 % in lymphocytes in
peripheral blood, stimulation by 69 % of natural cytotoxicity,
1.8 times synthesis of α/β- and 2.9 times in γ-interferons, activation
of antibody formation in 2,7 times. The effect of BMC
and FLC sometimes differed quantitatively, but was always
unidirectional. The results can be used to develop methods
for increasing the regenerative and radioprotective activity
of HSC transplants.
radiation immunodeficiency, regeneration, hematopoietic stem cells, multipotent stromal cells, intercellular interaction, transplantation.
- Chumak AA, Bazyka DA, Tal'ko VV, Minchenko Zh.N. The immune status of persons with acute radiation sickness and children evacuated from the 30-kilometer zone of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Probl Rad Medi and Radiobiol.1992; 4:63-6 [Russian].
- Lisianyĭ MI. Mesenchymal stem cells and their immunological properties. Fiziol Zh. 2013;59(3):126-34 [Ukrainian].
- Nikolskaya EI, Butenko GM. Structural-functional organization of the bone marrow hematopoietic stem cells niches. Cell and Organ Transplantology. 2016; 4(1):82-100.
- Nikolsky IS, Nikolskaya VV, Demchenko DL, Taranukha LI, Semenova YA, Serebrovska TV. Effects of multipotent stromal cell transplantation on mice immune system under conditions of its regeneration. Fiziol Zh. 2018;64(4):3-11. [Ukrainian].
- Suniara RK, Jenkinson EJ, Owen JJ. An essential role for thymic mesenchyme in early T cell development. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1051-6.
- Chumak AA, Abramenko IV, Vojchenko PK, Pleskach OYa. Persistent viral infections as an important factor in the pathogenesis of the remote consequences of the Chernobyl disaster. Medical consequences of the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (Eds O.F. Vozianov, V.G. Bebeshko, D.A. Bazy`ka). Kiev: DIA. 2007;437-45 [Ukrainian].
- Grishchenko VI, Lobynceva GS, Votyakova IA, Shereshkov SI. Hematopoietic cells of the embryonic liver. Kiev: Naukova dumka. 1988; 192 [Russian].
- Freshni RY. Animal Culture: A Practical Guide. Moscow: Binom. Laboratoriya znanij. 2010;691 [Russian].
- Men'shikov VV. Guidelines for clinical laboratory diagnostics. Moscow: Medicina. 1982. [Russian].
- Mossman T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assay. J Immunol Methods. 1983 Dec 16; 65(1-2):55-63.
- Stewart WE. Interferon systems. Vienna. New York: Springer.1979.
- Huang M, Yao PW, Chang MD, Ng SK, Yu CH, Zhang YF, et al. Identification of anti-inflammatory fractions of Geranium wilfordii using tumor necrosis factor-alpha as a drug target on Herbochip® an array-based high throughput screening platform. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015 May 12;15:146. doi: 10.1186. s12906- 015-0665-9.
- Frimmel G. Immunological methods edited by Frimel G. Moscow: The world. 1987. [Russian].
- Hallahan DE, Spriggs DR, Beckett MA, Kufe DW, Weichselbaum RR. Increased tumor necrosis factor alpha mRNA after cellular exposure to ionizing radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1989 Dec;86(24):10104-7.
- Neta R, Douches S, Oppenheim JJ. Interleukin 1 is a radioprotector. J Immunol. 1986 Apr 1;136(7):2483-5.
- Neta R, Oppenheim JJ. Cytokines in therapy of radiation injury. Blood. 1988 Sep;72(3):1093-5.
- Sekai M, Tani-ichi S, Yoneyama M, Fujita T, Kina T, Ikuta K. Lymphocyte-stromal cell interaction induces IL-7 expression by interferon regulatory factors. Mol Immunol. 2013 Jul;54(3-4):378-85. doi: 10.1016. j.molimm. 2013.01.002. Epub 2013 Jan 30.
- King KY, Matatall KA, Shen CC, Goodell MA, Swierczek SI, Prchal JT. Comparative long-term effects of interferon α and hydroxyurea on human hematopoietic progenitor cells. Exp Hematol. 2015 Oct;43(10):912-8.e2. doi:10.1016. j.exphem.2015.05.013.
- Petinati NA, Kapranov NM, Bigil'deev AE, Popova MD, Davydova YO, Gal'tseva IV, et al. Changing the Properties of Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells by IFNγ Admini. Bull Experim Biol and Med. 2017;163 (2):230-4.
- Hermankova B, Zajicova A, Javorkova E, Chudickova M, Trosan P, Hajkova M, et al. Suppression of IL-10 production by activated B cells via a cell contact-dependent cyclooxygenase-2 pathway upregulated in IFN-γ- treated mesenchymal stem cells. Immunobiology. 2016 Feb;221(2):129-36. doi: 10.1016. j.imbio.2015.09.017. Epub 2015 Sep 12.