INVESTIGATION OF THE EFFECT OF MAGNESIUM IONS ON MORPHOLOGICAL CHANGES OF RAT PANCREAS
R.V. Yanko, O.G. Chaka, M.I. Levashov
O.O. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, National Academy
of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Morphological changes in the pancreas and magnesium concentration
in the bones and blood of adult male Wistar rats after
daily administration of magnesium ions were studied. The rats
were divided into two groups (12 animals each): I – control,
II – rats, which daily (for 21 days) received magnesium chloride
in a dose of 50 mg / kg. At the end of the experiment we
observed a significant increase in the magnesium concentration
in the tibia, serum and erythrocytes in the experimental rats by
36, 16 and 17 %, respectively. It was found that administration
of magnesium chloride led to morphological changes in
the exocrine part of the pancreas, indicating an increase in its
activity. Thus, in the gland of experimental rats, we detected
exocrine cells of an increased size. The sizes of their nucleus
and cytoplasm as well as the number of nucleolus in the nucleus
were also increased. The influence of magnesium chloride
significantly increased the activity of the endocrine pancreas.
This was indicated by the following morphological changes: an
increase in the relative area of the endocrine part (by 19 %), the
size of the Langerhans islets, an increase in the number (by 54
%) and density (by 20 %) of the endocrinocytes housed in them
compared to the control. Thus, the obtained morphological
results indicate that the introduction of magnesium enhances
the exo- and endocrine function of the pancreas.
- Fedyukovich N. Anatomy and physiology human: Textbook. Rostov: Phoenix. 2002. [Russian].
- Jahnen-Dechent W, Ketteler M. Magnesium basics. Clin Kidney J. 2012; 5(1): i3–i14.
- Andrea M. Magnesium in health and disease. Metal ions in life sciences. 2013; 13: 49-79.
- Fox C, Ramsoomair D, Carter C. Magnesium: its proven and potential clinical significance. South Med J. 2003; 94(12):1195-201.
- Mooren F, Turi S, Gunzel D, Schlue W, Domschke W, Singh J, Lerch M. Calcium–magnesium interactions in pancreatic acinar cells. The FASEB J. 2001; 15:659-72.
- Hersh T, Siddiqui D. Magnesium and the pancreas. Am J Clin Nutr.1973; 26(3): 362-6.
- Gubergrits N, Yaroshenko L. Dynamics of externalecreter function of pancreas in patients with chronic pancreatitis in combination with chronic bronchitis under the influence of therapy with magnesium. Gastroenterology. 2013; 49 (3): 102. [Russian].
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez L. Magnesium and type 2 diabetes. World J Diabetes. 2015; 6(10): 1152-57.
- Dibaba D, Xun R, Yokota K, White E, He K. Magnesium intake and incidence of pancreatic cancer: the vitamins and lifestyle study. Brit J Cancer. 2015; 113:1615-21.
- Papazachariou I, Martinez-Isla A, Efthimiou E, Williamson R, Girgis S. Magnesium deficiency in patients with chronic pancreatitis identified by an intravenous loading test. Clin Chim Acta. 2000; 302(1-2):145-54.
- Korzhevsky D. Principles of histological techniques. SPb: SpetsLit. 2010. [Russian].
- Yanko R, Levashov M. Morphofunctional state of the normo- and hypertensive rats pancreas after influence of intermittent normobaric hypoxia. Rus J Physiol. 2018; 104 (5): 581-9. [Russian].
- Adeyemi D, Komolafe1 O, Adewole1 O, Obuotor E, Abiodun1 A, Adenowo T. Histomorphological and morphometric studies of the pancreatic islet cells of diabetic rats treated with extracts of Annona muricata. Folia Morphol. 2010; 69(2): 92-100.
- Yanko R. Morphological changes pancreas after of melatonin's effect in different seasons. Fiziol Zh. 2016; 62(6): 88-94.
- Verigo L. Variability of connective tissue of the pancreas. (Morpho-experimental research). Author. dissertations.03.00.13. Physiology: Moscow. 2005. [Russian].
- Gromova O, Kalacheva A, Torshin I, Grustlivaya U, Prozorova N, Egorova E, Grishina T, Sukhanova T, Belinskaya A. About diagnostics of magnesium deficiency. Part 1. Archive of Int Med. 2014; 16 (2): 5-10. [Russian].
- Kunkel H, Pearson P, Schweiqert B. The photoelectric determination of magnesium in body fluids. Lab Clin Med. 1947; 32(8): 1027-33.
- Levina O. Homoeostasis of magnesium in patients with ischemic heart disease: the possibilities of medical correction. Author. dissertations. 14.00.06. Cardiology: St. Petersburg, 2004. [Russian].
- Nikolaeva O, Kovaltsova M, Gorgol N. Morphofunctional characteristics of pancreas of rats with chronic stress. Theor and Exp Med. 2013; 59 (2): 23-7. [Russian].
- Boisvert F, Konningsbruggen S, Navascues J, Lamond A. The multifunctional nucleolus. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology. 2007; 8(7): 574-85.
- Moeini-Nodeh S, Rahimifard M, Baeeri M, Abdollahi M. Functional Improvement in Rats' Pancreatic islets using magnesium oxide nanoparticles through antiapoptotic and antioxidant pathways. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2017; 175(1):146-55.
- Curry D, Joy R, Holley D, Bennett L. Magnesium modulation of glucose-induced insulin secretion by the perfused rat pancreas. Endocrinology. 1977; 101(1):203-8.