MITOCHONDRIAL DYSFUNCTION AND OXIDATIVE LESIONS IN RAT BRAIN UNDER MODELING OF PARKINSON’S LIKE SYNDROME: CORRECTIVE ACTION OF CAPICOR
I.M. Mankovska1, O.O. Gonchar1, V.I. Nosar1, K.V. Rozova1, L.V. Bratus1, E.E. Kolesnikova1, Yu.V. Putii1, I.M. Karaban2
- O.O.Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology of the National
Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
- D.F. Chebotarev Institute of Gerontology of the National
Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
It was studied the influence of Capicor (containing Meldonium
dihydrate and gamma-butyrobetain dehydrate) on
morphofunctional state, pro- and antioxidant balance, respiration
and phosphorylation in rat brain mitochondria under
rotenone-induced Parkinson’s-like syndrome. It was shown
that this syndrome is characterized by destructive changes in
mitochondrial structure, the mitochondrial dynamic perturbations
in striatum, the marked disturbances of pro- and antioxidant
balance as well as of respiration and phosphorylation in
brain mitochondria. After Capicor administration, there was
demonstrated the positive changes in mitochondrial structure
with an increase in mitochondrial total number and a decrease
in the number of damaged mitochondria in striatum. Under
the action of Capicor, there was demonstrated a reduction in
oxidative stress expressiveness in brain mitochondria with a
decrease in TBA-active products content, a rise in glutathione
peroxidase and Mn-SOD activities. After Capicor administration,
there was shown the significant increase in mitochondrial
respiration rate (V3) as well as in effectiveness of ATP synthesis
ATP, ADP/O). So, Capicor is shown to be effective in
the reduction of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative
disturbances in rat brain mitochondria under rotenone induced
Parkinson’s-like syndrome; mitochondrial dysfunction; oxidative stress; Capicor.
- Frank C, Pari G, Rossiter JP. Approach to diagnosis of Parkinson disease. Can Fam Physician. 2006;52: 862-68.
- Hudson G. The ageing brain, mitochondria and neurodegeneration. Mitochondria dysfunction in neurodegenerative disorders. Springer Int Publishing. 2016;59-80.
Jenner P. Oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol. 2003; 53 (suppl 3):S26-36
- Chaturvedi RK, Beal M. Mitochondrial approaches for neuroprotection. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2008;1147:395-412.
- Langston JW, Ballard P, Tetrud JW, Irvin I. Chronic Parkinsonism in humans due to a product of meperidineanalog synthesis. Science. 1983;219:979-80.
- Majd S, Power JH, Grantham HJ. Neuronal response in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease: the effect of toxic proteins on intracellular pathways. BMC Neurosci. 2015;16:69.
- Picard M, McManus MJ. Mitochondrial signaling and neurodegeneration. Mitochondria dysfunction in neurodegenerative disorders. Springer Int Publishing. 2016; 107-37.
- Rozova EV, Mankovskaya IN, Karasevich NV, Karaban I.N. Mitochondrial dysfunction as a characteristic of multi-organ pathology in Parkinson's disease: clinical and experimental research. Parkinson's disease and movement disorders (Manual for Physicians). Moscow, 2017;42-45. [Russian].
- Talanov SA, Kotsyuruba AV, Korkach YuP, Sagach VF. Oxidative stress in cardiovascular system of rats with chronic deficit of cerebral dopamine. Fiziol Zh. 2009;55(4):32-40. [Ukrainian].
- Rozova KV, Mankovska IM, Gonchar OO, Drevytska TI, Karaban IM, Karasevich NV. The corrective influence of Capicor in experimental parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease. Ukr Visn Psykhonevrol. 2017;25 (1):102-03. [Ukrainian].
- Milyukhina IV, Abdurasulova IN, Korzhevsky DE, Climenko VM. Expressiveness of the Parkinson's disease symptoms in rats under different modes of rotenone injection. Parkinson's disease and movement disorders (Manual for Physicians). Moscow, 2017;380-81. [Russian].
- Chance B, Williams G. The respiratory chain and oxidative phosphorylation. Adv Enzymol. 1956; 17: 65-134.
- Estabrook RW. Mitochondrial respiratory control and the polarographic measurement of ADP/O ratios. Methods Enzymol. 1967;10:41-7.
- Buege J., Aust S., Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol. 1978; LII: 302-08.
- Anderson M. Determination of glutathione and glutathione Material nadiishov do redaktsii 10.05.2018 disulfide in biological samples. Methods Enzymol. 1985; 113: 548-51.
- Putilina F.E. Biochemical assay of glutathione enzymes. Methods Biochem.1982; 1: 174-6.
- Misra H, Fridovich I. The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 1972; 247(10): 3170-5.
- Karupu VYa. The electron microscopy. K.:High school; 1984. [Russian].
- Osipov VP, Lukyanova EM, Antipkin YuG, Brusilova EM, Marushko RV. The technique of statistical processing of medical information in scientific research. K: Planet of people; 2002. [Russian].
- Dickinson D, Forman H. Cellular glutathione and thiols metabolism. Biochem Pharmacol. 2002; 64: 1019-26.
- Dringen R. Metabolism and functions of glutathione in brain. Prog Neurobiol. 2000;62:649.
- Zeevalk G, Razmpour R, Bernard L. Glutathione and Parkinson's disease: Is this the elephant in the room? Biomed Pharmacotherapy. 2008;62:236-49.
- Burbulla LF, Song P, Mazzulli JR, et al. Dopamine oxidation mediates mitochondrial and lysosomal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Science. 2017; 357(6357):1255-61.
- Mankovska IM, Rozova KV, Gonchar OO, Nosar VI, Bratus LV, Drevitska TI, Karasevich NV, Karaban IM. Effect of Capicor on the Parkinson's disease pathogenic links. Fiziol Zh. 2018;64(1):16-24. [Ukrainian].
- Artyushkova EV. Increase in the level of gamma-buturobetaine - a pharmacological target for the correction of endothelial dysfunction. Kuban Sci Med Bul. 2009;(4): 72-5. [Russian].
- Inden M, Kitamura Y, Takeuchi H. Neurodegeneration of mouse nigrostriatal dopaminergic system induced by repeated oral administration of rotenone is prevented by 4-phenylbutyrate, a chemical chaperone. J Neurochem. 2007;101:1491-1504.
- Clements CM, McNally, Conti BJ, et al. DJ-1, a cancerand Parkinson's disease-associated protein, stabilizes the antioxidant transcriptional master regulator Nrf2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2006;103:15091-96.