INCREASED FUNCTIONAL CONNECTIVITY OF THE TEMPORAL LOBE REGIONS, AS THE MAGNETIC RESONANCE MARKER FOR TEMPORAL LOBE EPILEPSY
O. Omelchenko1, 2, M. Makarchuk1
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine
- Medical Clinic “BORIS”, Kyiv, Ukraine
Group of eight patients with the temporal lobe epilepsy
was examined. During the performance of the motor task
the activation of the primary and associative sensorimotor
regions of the cerebral cortex, which constitute the sensory
motor neural network, was detected. Averaged general
volume of activation voxels was 46.22 cm3, with the used
threshold value was Z ≥ 2.3. Averaged changes of magnetic
resonance (MR) signal in activation clusters were 1.15% (SD
= 0.17%). The analysis of the data obtained in the resting
state showed the functional connectivity of the regions of
the anterior pole of the inferior temporal gyrus, the posterior
pole of the middle temporal gyrus, parahippocampal gyri
of both hemispheres, as well as the hippocampus of the left
hemisphere of the brain, which topographically corresponds
to the localization of epileptiform activity according to the
electroencephalography. The frequency of oscillation of MRsignal
in described neuronal network was 0.1·10-3Hz. Thus, we
have discovered the activation of the intact sensorimotor neural
network, as well as the functional connectivity of a potentially
epileptogenic macroscopic neural network. Consequently,
functional magnetic resonance imaging potentially can
complement diagnostic methods for detecting epileptogenic
neural networks in temporal epilepsy.
epilepsy, functional (fMRI), motor cortex, brain.
- Dekker P A, World Health Organization. Epilepsy: A manual for medical and clinical officers in Africa. 2002.
- Villanueva V, Serratosa J M. Temporal lobe epilepsy: clinical semiology and age at onset. Epilep Disord. 2005;7(2):83-90.
- Téllez-Zenteno J F, Hernández-Ronquillo L. A review of the epidemiology of temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilep Res and Treat. 2011;2012.
- Isaeva E V. The impact of epileptiform activity on rat brain functioning [Dissertation for the degree of Doctor of biological sciences]. Kiev: Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology NAS of Ukraine; 2016.
- Wieser H-G. ILAE Commission Report. Mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis. Epilepsia. 2004;45(6):695-714.
- Bernasconi N, Bernasconi A, Caramanos Z, Antel S, Andermann F, Arnold D. Mesial temporal damage in temporal lobe epilepsy: a volumetric MRI study of the hippocampus, amygdala and parahippocampal region. Brain. 2003;126(2):462-9.
- Pereira F R, Alessio A, Sercheli M S, Pedro T, Bilevicius E, Rondina J M, et al. Asymmetrical hippocampal connectivity in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy: evidence from resting state fMRI. BMC Neurosci. 2010;11(1):66.
- Karlov V, Gnezditskii V, Geibatova L. Lateralization of epileptiformic focuses and components of spike-wave complexes in patients with prefrontal epilepsy and problem of functional hemispheric assymetry. Epilep and Paroxyz Cond. 2012;4(4).
- Zang Y-F, Zhao S-G. Resting-state fMRI studies in epilepsy. Neurosci Bull. 2012;28(4):449-55.
- Zhang Z, Lu G, Zhong Y, Tan Q, Chen H, Liao W, et al. fMRI study of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy using amplitude of low‐frequency fluctuation analysis. Hum Brain Mapp. 2010;31(12):1851-61.
- Mishchenko T. Epidemiology of the neural system disorders in Ukraine. Ukr bull Psychoneurol. 2015;23(3):151-2.
- Stippich C. Clinical functional MRI: Springer; 2007.
- Jezzard P, Matthews P M, Smith S M. Functional MRI : an introduction to methods. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press; 2001. 390 p.
- Omel'chenko A N, Makarchuk N E. fMRI Visualization of Functional Patterns of Neural Networks during the Performance of Cyclic Finger Movements: Age-Related Peculiarities. Neurophysiology. 2017;49(5):372-83.
- Rijntjes M, Dettmers C, Büchel C, Kiebel S, Frackowiak R S, Weiller C. A blueprint for movement: functional and anatomical representations in the human motor system. J Neurosci. 1999;19(18):8043-8.
- Riehle A, Vaadia E, editors. Motor cortex in voluntary movements: a distributed system for distributed functions. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2005.
- Bullmore E, Sporns O. Complex brain networks: graph theoretical analysis of structural and functional systems. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009;10(3):186.
- D'Adamo M C, Catacuzzeno L, Di Giovanni G, Franciolini F, Pessia M. K+ channelepsy: progress in the neurobiology of potassium channels and epilepsy. Front Cell Neurosci. 2013;7.
- Isaeva E, Lunko O, Romano A, Isaev D. Effect of Neonatal Seizures on the Synaptic Plasticity of Rat Somatosensory Cortex. Fiziol Zh. 2015;61(6):11.