EFFECT OF AQUEOUS COLLOIDAL SOLUTION OF FULLERENE C60 ON HEMATOLOGICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL INDICES OF RAT BLOOD
O.O. Vlasov1,2, G.A. Kovalov1, I.V. Belochkina1, I.A. Iefimova3, B.P. Sandomirsky1
- Institute of Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine
NAS of Ukraine, Kharkov, Ukraine
- V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukraine
- Kharkiv Regional Clinical Traumatological Hospital,
The effect of unmodified fullerene C60 aqueous colloidal solution
(FASC60) after intraperitoneal administration at a dose of
1 mg/kg, which was used in various concentrations, on hematological
parameters, visco-elastic properties of the erythrocyte
membrane and the biochemical parameters of blood serum of
rats was studied. It was found that FASC60 at concentrations
of 34.7 and 173 μmol/l induced moderate anisocytosis: the
standard deviation of the relative width of the red blood cell
distribution by volume increased by 15 and 12% on day 1 and
by 13 and 18% on day 5 respectively. In addition, the sensitivity
of erythrocytes to hypotension increased. Thus, on day 1 the
level of hemolysis increased by 30 and 60% in 70 mmol/l NaCl
solution and by 46 and 60% in 60 mmol/l NaCl solution for
dilutions of 34.7 and 173 μmol/l respectively. Administration
of FASC60 at a concentration of 173 μmol/l on day 5 caused
moderate hemolysis (the hemoglobin content in the blood
decreased by 11%, and the absolute amount of erythrocytes
decreased by 18%). The use of FASC60 at a concentration of 34.7 μmol/l on day 1 of the experiment was accompanied by
transient leukocytosis (36%) with increasing in the content of
segmented neutrophils by 60% and increasing in the activity
of aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase
by 91.7 and 97.5% respectively. Thus, the administration of
FASC60 has little toxicity, regardless of concentration.
water colloidal solution of unmodified fullerene С60 (FASC60); hematological parameters; elastic properties of erythrocyte membrane; biochemical parameters of blood serum; rats
- Castro E, Hernandez Garcia A, Zavala G, Echegoyen L. Fullerenes in Biology and Medicine. J Mater Chem B. 2017;5(32):6523-35.
- Prylutskyy YI, Vereshchaka IV, Maznychenko AV et al. C60 fullerene as promising therapeutic agent for correcting and preventing skeletal muscle fatigue. J Nanobiotechnology. 2017;15(1):8.
- Nozdrenko DM, Bogutska KI, Prylutskyy YI et al. Impact of C60 fullerene on the dynamics of force-speed changes in soleus muscle of rat at ischemia-reperfusion injury. Fiziol Zh. 2015;61(2):48-59.
- Franskevych DV, Grynyuk II, Prylutska SV et al. Photocytotoxic effect of C60 fullerene against L1210 leukemic cells is accompanied by enhanced nitric oxide production and p38 MAPK activation. Exp Oncol. 2016 Jun;38(2):89-93.
- Mamontova TV, Vesnina LE, Mikityuk MV et al. Fullerene C60 inhibited free radical and destructive processes in connective tissue during adjuvant arthritis in rats. Fiziol Zh. 2015;61(2):80-6.
- Volkova N, Yukhta M, Pavlovich O, Goltsev A. Application of cryopreserved fibroblast culture with au nanoparticles to treat burns. Nanoscale Res Lett. 2016; 11: 22.
- Ha Ye, Katz L, Liljestrand H. Distribution of fullerene nanoparticles between water and solid supported lipid membranes: thermodynamics and effects of membrane composition on distribution environ. Sci Technol. 2015; 49(24): 14546-53.
- Wang I, Tai L, Lee D. C60 and water-soluble derivatives as antioxidants against radical-initiated lipid peroxidation. J Med Chem. 1999; 42: 4614-20.
- Piotrovskiy L, Yeropkin M, Yeropkina Y, Dumpis M, Kiselev I. Mechanisms of the biological action of fullerenes – dependence on the aggregate state. Psikhofarmakol Biol Narkol. 2007; 7(2); 1548-54.
- Andreichenko KS, Prylutska SV, Medynska KO, Bogutska KI, Nurishchenko NE, Prylutskyy YI, et al. Effect of fullerene C60 on ATPase activity and superprecipitation of skeletal muscle actomyosin. Ukr Biokhim Zh. 2013;85(2):20-6.
- Prylutska SV, Kichmarenko YM, Bogutska KI, Prylutskyy YI. Fullerene C60 and its derivatives as anticancer agents: problems and prospects. Biotechnologia Acta. 2012; 5(3): 9-17.
- Nielsen G, Roursgaard M, Jensen K, Poulsen S, Larsen S. In vivo biology and toxicology of fullerenes and their derivatives. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008, 103 (3):197-208.
- Fujita K, Morimoto Y, Ogami A, Myojyo T, Tanaka I, Shimada M, et al. Gene expression profiles in rat lung after inhalation exposure to C60 fullerene particles. Toxicology. 2009;258:47-55.
- Sayes CM, Marchione AA, Reed KL, Warheit DB. Comparative pulmonary toxicity assessments of C60 water suspensions in rats: few differences in fullerene toxicity in vivo in contrast to in vitro profiles. Nano Lett. 2007; 7: 2399-2406.
- Belochkina IV, Ishchenko IO, Prylutska SV, Bogutska KI, Cherepanov VV, Sandomirskiy BP. Effect of S60 fullerene on metabolic and proliferative activity of PKE cell line. The Ukrainian Biochem J. 2014; 86(2): 129-33.
- Prylutska SV, Matyshevska OP, Golub AA et al. Study of S60 fullerenes and S60-containing composites cytotoxicity in vitro. Mater Sci Engineer. C. 2007; 27: 1121-4.
- Prylutska SV, Rotko DM., Prylutskyy YI, Rybalchenko VK. Toxicity of carbon nanostructures in systems in vitro and in vivo. Suchasni Problemy Toksykolohiyi. 2012; 3-4; 49-57. [Russian].
- Ritter U, Prylutskyy Yu, Evstigneev MP, Davidenko NA, Cherepanov VV, Senenko AI, et al. Structural features of highly stable reproducible C60 fullerene aqueous colloid solution probed by various techniques. Fullerenes, Nanotubes and Carbon Nanostructures. 2014; 23: 530-4.
- Shipelin VA, Arianova EA, Trushina EN, Avrenyeva LI, Batishcheva SY, Cherkashin AV, et al. Toxicological and sanitary characterization of fullerene S60 administered through the rat gastrointestinal tract. Hygiene and Sanitation. 2012; 2: 90-4. [Russian].
- Wong-Ekkabut J, Baoukina S, Triampo W, et al. Computer simulation study of fullerene translocation through lipid membranes. Nat Nanotechnol. 2008; 3: 363-8.
- Shpakova NM, Nipot EE, Ishchenko IO, Prylutska SV, Bogutska KI, Cherepanov VV, et al. Effect of S60 fullerene on viscoelastic properties of human erythrocytes membrane. Physiol J. 2014; 60(5): 82-8. [Ukrainian].
- Semenovich AA, Pereverzev VA, Zinchuk VA, Korotkevich TV. Normal physiology: a textbook. Part 1. Minsk: High School, 2013. [Russian].
- Baker GL, Gupta A, Clark ML, Valenzuela BR, Staska LM, Harbo SJ, et al. Inhalation toxicity and lung toxicokinetics of C60 fullerene nanoparticles and microparticles. Toxicol Sci. 2008; 101(1): 122-31.