Changes of antioxidant potential under the experimental periodontitis development
A.Ye. Demkovych, Yu.I. Bondarenko
SHEI “I. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University”, Ternopil, Ukraine
The results of biochemical studies of the antioxidant preventive system are given in the article. They were
determined by the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, ceruloplasmin, glutathione peroxidase,
glutathione reductase and reduced glutathione on the 7th, 14th and 30th days of development of experimental
periodontitis. It is shown that the generation of reactive oxygen species is associated with an increase in
the activity of immune processes, which becomes more potent and provides a protracted character to the
inflammatory process in the periodontal tissues. In that is paid attention to the characteristic dynamics of
changes in the activity indices of lipid peroxidative processes and the antioxidant protective system in the
development of experimental periodontitis. In the early period of development of experimental periodontitis,
that is, on the 7th day, the activity of SOD in the blood serum decreased, and later, on the 14th and 30th days,
it increased. On the 7th day of the experiment, an increase of the catalase activity and ceruloplasmin in
the blood serum was found, respectively) in comparison with the control. On the 14th day catalase activity
and ceruloplasmin was decreased as compared to the group of animals examined on the 7th day of the
experiment. On the 30th day their levels in the blood serum still is remained decreased. The dynamics of
indices reduced glutathione were similar to the dynamics of superoxide dismutase activity, that is, on the
7th day of the experiment there was a decrease. The partial increase enzymic activity of the glutathione
system (glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase) occurred on the 14th day of the inflammation but
subsequently these parameters became the opposite of changes. It is established that in the conditions of
formation and course of experimental periodontitis the intensity of antioxidant protection activity varies.
periodontitis; catalase; superoxide dismutase; ceruloplasmin; glutathione; glutathione peroxidase; glutathione reductase; antioxidant protection
- Borisenko A. Periodontal disease. Kyiv: Medicine; 2013. [Ukrainian].
- Dimitrova A, Kolenko Y. Evaluating the effectiveness of various immunomodulators in complex treatment generalized periodontitis in young adults (18-25 years). J Modern Dentistry. 2013; 2: 38-9. [Russian].
- Butyugin I, Kornilov N, Abramov O. Comparative analysis of the effectiveness of topical application of antioxidants in the treatment of chronic generalized periodontitis. J Dentistry. 2013; 92(1): 31-4. [Russian].
- Kolisnyk M, Kolisnyk G, Vlizlo V. Reactive oxygen species and their role in the metabolism of cells. J Biology. 2009; 11(1): 58-69. [Ukrainian].
- Melnichuk G, Kostyuk I. The evolution of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in the blood serum of children with permanent teeth granulating periodontitis and chronic heightened course, influenced treatment. J Modern Stomatology. 2012; 3: 25-8. [Ukrainian].
- Nesterov V, Turchenko N. The structural features of the air-blood barrier in conditions of acute lung hypo- and hyperoxic stress. J Science. 2010; 3: 112-6. [Russian].
- Ascenso A, Ribeiro HM, Marques HC, Simoes S. Topical delivery of antioxidants. Curr Drug Deliv. 2011; 8(6): 640-60.
- Guant T, Song J, Wang Y, Guo L, Yuan L, et al. : Expression and characterization of recombinant bifunctional enzymes with glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase activities. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017; 8(110): 188-95.
- Demkovych AY, Bondarenko YI. Pathogenetic basis periodontitis modeling in rats. Achiev of Clin and Exper Med. 2015; 1(22): 54-7. [Ukrainian].
- Chevari S, Chaba I, Székei J. The role of superoxide reductase in the oxidative processes of the cell and the method of its determination in biological material. Lab Case. 1985; 11: 678-81.
Korolyuk MA, Ivanova LI, Mayorova IH. Method for determination of catalase activity. Laboratory case. 1988; 1: 16-8. [Russian]
- Kolb VH, Kamyshnikov VS. Handbook of Clinical Chemistry. Minsk: Belarus; 1982. [Russian].
- Moffat JA, Armstrong PW, Marks GS. Investigations into the role of sulfhydryl groups in the mechanism of action of the nitrates. Can J Physiol and Pharmacol. 1982; 60(10): 1261-6.
- Kruglikova GO, Stutman IM. Glutathione peroxidase and glutathione reductase activity of rat liver after the introduction of sodium selenite. Ukr Bioch J. 1976; 48 (2): 227-33. [Ukrainian].
- Orlov A. Cases Mathematics, Probability and Statistics – Basic facts. Moscow: MZ-Press; 2004. [Russian].
- Berger RL, Casella G. Statistical Inference. 2nd ed. Florida: Duxbury Press; 2001.
- Demkovych AY, Bondarenko YI, inventor; I. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Univ., assignee. Pathogenetic basis periodontitis modeling in rats. Ukraine patent 82388 u201303000. 2013 Jul 25.
- Demkovych AY. The peculiarities of microbiocoenosis formation in development of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Infectious diseases. 2015; 1(79): 87-92. [Ukrainian].
- Medynska KO, Shelyuk OV, Lityuha VV. The study of structural characteristics and determine the extent of damage of oxidation-modified rabbit skeletal muscle actomyosin under the influence of ultrasound. Physics Living. 2010; 18(1): 164-7. [Ukrainian].
- Regeda MS, Boychuk TM, Bondarenko YI, Regeda MM. Inflammation is a typical pathological process. 2nd ed. Lviv: Korpan; 2013. [Ukrainian].
- Hussain T, Tan B, Yin Y, Blachier F, Tossou M, Rahu N. Oxidative Stress and Inflammation: What Polyphenols Can Do for Us? Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016; 2016: 7432797.
- Valko M, Rhodes CJ, Moncol J, Izakovic M, Mazur M. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stressinduced cancer. Chem Biol Interact. 2006; 160(1): 1-40.
- Volchegorskii IA, Kornilova NV, Butiugin IA. Comparative analysis of "lipid peroxidation-antioxidant protection" system status in saliva of patients with slight and moderate stages of chronic parodontitis. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 2010; 89(6): 24-7. [Russian].
- Bakhautdin B, Febbraio M, Goksov E, Motte CA, Gullen MF, Childers EP, et al. Protective role of macrophagederived ceruloplasmin in inflammatory bowel disease. Gut. 2013; 62(2): 209-19.
- Linder MC. Ceruloplasmin and other copper binding components of blood plasma and their functions: an update. Metallomics. 2016; 8(9): 887-905.