THE EFFECT OF VANADIUM CITRATE ON HAEMATOLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF RATS UNDER ALLOXAN-INDUCED DIABETES
L. Ponkalo, H. Klymets, R. Iskra, O. Sushko
Institute of Animal Biology of NAAS, Lviv, Ukraine
The effect of vanadium citrate on the haematological indexes
of the alloxan-induced diabetic rats was studied. It was established
that in animals of the II group which consumed
pure water, the number of leukocytes apparently increased by
50.24%, platelets – by 56.94%, and the hemoglobin concentration
- by 11.87% as compared to the control. In addition, in
animals of this group, the mean cell volume increased, which
was accompanied by a decrease in the mean corpuscular hemoglobin
concentration. It was found that the consumption
of vanadium citrate at doses of 0,125, 0,5, і 2 µg/ml under
alloxan-induced diabetes resulted in the normalization of
rats’ haematological profile indexes, particularly the number
of leukocytes decreased by 20.49, 12.36 and 29.14 % respectively,
as compared to the control group II. In animals treated
with vanadium citrate at doses of 0,125 and 0,5 µg/ml, it was
shown an apparent decrease in the number of platelets by
55.83 and 51.92 %, the magnitude of hematocrit by 23,79 and
14,20 %, thrombocrit by 27,29 and 58,25 % and hemoglobin
concentration by 24,97 аnd 13,98 %, while these parameters
reached almost control values.
diabetes; vanadium citrate; blood; alloxan; rats
- Iskra R, Sushko O, Klymets H, Ponkalo L. Impact of vanadium citrate on glutathione blood system in rats with experimentally induced diabetes. Visn. Lviv University. Biology series. 2016; 73:144-7. [Ukrainian].
- Belayeva N, Gorodetskii V, Tochilkin A, Golubev M. Vanadium compounds as a new class of therapeutical agents for treatment of diabetes mellitus. Biomed Chem. 2000; 46(4): 344-60. [Russian].
- Naumenko V. Pathogenetic therapy of diabetes complications. Int J Endocrinol. 2006; 1(3): 55-60. [Ukrainian].
- Khokhla M, Kleveta G, Chajka Ya, Skybitska M, Sybirna N. The influence of Galega officinalis under on rats leukocytes apoptosis the experimental diabetes mellitus type 1. Visn Lviv University. Biology series. 2012; 60:117-25. [Ukrainian].
- Chekman IS, Kaplunenko VG, Haiduk KS. Vanadium: clinic, pharmacological and toxicological properties. Ukr Medl J. 2016; 1(111): 28-32. [Ukrainian].
- Bose S, Farah M, Jung H et al. Molecular mechanism of bis(maltolato)oxovanadium(IV)-induced insulin signaling in 3T3-L1 and IM9 cells: impact of dexamethasone J Mol Endocrinol. 2007; 38(6):627-49.
- Pumiglia K, Lau L, Huang Ch et. al. Activation of signal transduction in platelets by the tyrosine phosphatase inhibitor pervanadate (vanadyl hidroperoxide). Biochem J.1992; 286:441-9.
- Sánchez-González C, Rivas-García L, López-Chaves C. Exposure to bis(maltolato)oxovanadium(IV) increases levels of hepcidin mRNA and impairs the homeostasis of iron but not that of manganese. Food Chem Toxicol. 2014; 73:451-9.
- Thompson K, Orvig C Vanadium in diabetes: 100 years from Phase to Phase. I J Inorg Biochem. 2006; 100(12):1925-35.
- Rohilla A, Ali S. Alloxan Induced Diabetes: Mechanisms and Effects. Int J Res Pharma Biomedical Sci. 2012; 3:819-23.