THE INFLUENCE OF HYPOXIA AND MELATONIN ON THE BEHAVIORAL RESPONSE OF RATS WITH DIFFERENT LEVEL OF ENERGY METABOLISM
L.M. Plotnikova, V.Y. Berezovskyi, M.I. Levashov, O.G. Chaka, R.V. Yanko
O.O. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, National Academy
of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
We investigated the effect of intermittent normobaric hypoxia (INH) of sanogenic level and melatonin (5 mg/kg) on locomotor
and emotional activity of young Wistar rats in the test «open
field». The animals were divided into two groups: with low
and high level of energy metabolism (LEM). Total locomotor
activity in rats with high LEM control group was significantly
lower by 17 % relatively low LEM rats. It was shown that joint
ingestion of INH and melatonin increased horizontal motor
activity by 22-38 %, decreased emotionality of rats in 2,5-2,7
times irrespective of their level of energy metabolism. In
animals with low LEM, hypoxia, both separately and together
with melatonin, increased the frequency (by 4,0 and 8,7 times,
respectively) and the duration of the grooming (in 1,7 and 4,9
times, respectively) compared with the intact group. After 28
sessions of INH in them, the weight of the body significantly
decreased by 10 % compared to the control. The combined
action of INH and melatonin activated the orienting and
research behavior of rats, reduced the level of anxiety, which
may indicate an anti-stress effect of such influence.
Intermittent normobaric hypoxia; melatonin; level of energy metabolism; behavioral response
- Hill R, McKernan L, Wang L, Coronado R. Changes in psychosocial well-being after mindfulness-based stress reduction: a prospective cohort study. J Man Manip Ther. 2017; 25(3):128-36.
- Kaidashev I. Changing lifestyles, the violation of energy metabolism and systemic inflammation as factors of civilization diseases. Ukr Med Magazine. 2013;5(97):103-8. [Russian].
- Gostyukhina A, Zamoshchina T, Svetlik M, Zhukova O, Zaitsev K, Abdulkina N. Behavioral activity of rats in the «open field» after the light and dark deprivation and physical exhaustion. Bulletin of Siberian Medicine. 2016;15(3):16-23. [Russian].
- Shi L, Li N, Bo L, Xu Z. Melatonin and hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. Cur Med Chem. 2013; 20(15):2017-31.
- Arushanyan E, Naumov S. Anti-inflammatory potential of melatonin. Clinical medicine. 2013; 91(7):18-22.
- Rodriguez C, Mayo J, Sainz R, Antolnn I, Herrera F, Martnn V, Reiter R. Regulation of antioxidant enzymes: a significant role for melatonin. Jour Pin Res. 2004;36(1):1-9.
- Tsebrzhynskyy O, Frenkel Y. Features of testing «open field» rats that had hyper- and hipomelatoninemiyi. The World of Medicine and Biology. 2006; 3:47-52. [Ukrainian].
- Frankel Y. Assessment of behavioral laboratory rats in the test «open field» when playing the experimentally hyper- and hipomelatoninemii. Modern health problems, radiation and environmental medicine: Coll Scientific articles. 2014;4: 306-10. [Russian].
- Berezovsky V. Natural and instrumental oroterapiya. Donetsk: Publisher Zaslavsky AJ. 2012: 304 p. [Russian].
- Serebrovskaya T, Shatilo V. Experience of using interval hypoxia in prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases: Review. Blood Circulation and Hemostasis. 2014;1-2:16-33. [Russian].
- Balabekova M, Ryspekova N, Zhukesheva M, Askarova A, Nurmuhambetov A. Study of behavioral reactions of old rats treated with hypoxia. Medical Sciences. 2014; 7:662-6. [Russian].
- Ol'nyanskaya R, Isaakyan L. Research methods gas exchange in humans and animals. Moscow: Medgiz. 1959:180 p. [Russian].
- Buresh J, Bureshova O, Houston P. The methodology and basic experiments for the study of brain and behavior. Moscow: High school. 1991: 299 p. [Russian].
- Kulikov V. Individual features of spontaneous locomotor activity and adaptive behavior in rats. Zh Higher Nerve Activity. 1990; 40(1):85-92. [Russian].
- Vlizlo V, Fedoruk R, Ratych I. Laboratory methods of research in biology, veterinary medicine. Lviv. 2012: 762 p. [Ukrainian].
- Shevereva V. Influence of chronical emotional stress on the behaviour in open field of rets with different level of motional activity. Fiziol. Zh. 2011;57(1):94-105. [Ukrainian].
- Gridin L. Modern understanding of the physiological and therapeutic and prophylactic effects of actions hypoxia and hypercapnia. Journal of Medicine. 2016;3:45-68. [Russian].
- Chen C, Tsa Y, Kao C, Lee S, Wu M, Mallikarjuna K, Liao Y, Ivy J, Kuo C. Effect of mild intermittent hypoxia on glucose tolerance, muscle morphology and AMPKPGC-1alpha signaling. Chin J Physiol. 2010; 53(1):62-71.
- Sun H, Gusdon A, Qu S. Effects of melatonin on cardiovascular diseases: progress in the past year. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2016; 27(4):408-13.