EFFECT OF L-ARGININE AND CORVITIN ON OXIDATIVE-NITROSATIVE STRESS IN SKIN OF RATS EXPOSED TO EXCESSIVE SODIUM NITRATE
D.O. Khmil’, V.O. Kostenko
Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy, Poltava, Ukraine
This experiment was aimed at studying the effect of combined
action produced by L-arginine and water-soluble form of quercetin (corvitin) on the markers of oxidative-nitrosative
stress in the skin under 30-day intoxication with sodium
nitrate (200 mg/kg per day). The combined intraperitoneal
administration of L-arginine (500 mg/kg) and corvitin (10
mg / kg in terms of quercetin), once every three days starting
from the 15th day of intoxication, reduced the formation of
peroxynitrite, production of superoxide anion radical (О-2) by NADPH-dependent (endoplasmic reticulum and NO-synthase)
and NADH-dependent (mitochondrial) electron transport
chains in the skin tissues, decreased the concentration of
compounds reacting with thiobarbituric acid products during
incubation in the prooxidant iron-ascorbate buffer solution.
The values of these indicators were significantly inferior to
the corresponding data obtained by the separate administration
of these substances. The combined effect of L-arginine and
quercetin in the experimental conditions increased the activity
of arginase and superoxide dismutase in the skin tissues, that
significantly exceeded the results of the series, in which above
mentioned compounds were used separately. We can conclude
the combined administration of L-arginine and corvitin is more
effective in preventing oxidative-nitrosative stress in the skin
of rats exposed to excessive intake of sodium nitrate compared
with their separate application, and reduces the production of
reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (О-2 and peroxynitrite),
increases the antioxidant potential, and enhances the activity
of arginase and superoxide dismutase.
Nitrate intoxication; L-arginine; quercetin; oxidative-nitrosative stress; skin
- Butovskiy RO. Problems of chemical pollution of soils and groundwater in the European Union countries. Agrokhimiya. 2004; (3):74-81. [Russian].
- Nitric Oxide: Biology and Pathobiology. (Eds LJ Ignarro). 2nd Edition. Academic Press; 2010.
- Omar SA, Webb AJ, Lundberg JO, Weitzberg E. Therapeutic effects of inorganic nitrate and nitrite in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. J Intern Med. 2016; 279(4):315-36.
- Adler BL, Friedman AJ. Nitric oxide therapy for dermatologic disease. Future Sci OA. 2015; 1(1):FSO37.
- Del Rosso JQ, Kircik LH. Spotlight on the Use of Nitric Oxide in Dermatology: What Is It? What Does It Do? Can It Become an Important Addition to the Therapeutic Armamentarium for Skin Disease? J Drugs Dermatol. 2017; 16(1):s4-s10.
- Kostenko VA, Solov'eva NV, Kovalenko AV. Mechanisms of nitric oxide autoregulation in mammals and their disturbances in pathologic processes. Aktualʹni problemy suchasnoyi medytsyny: Visn Ukr Med Stomat Akad. 2011; 11(3):150-4. [Ukrainian].
- Akimov O Ye, Kostenko VO. Functioning of nitric oxide cycle in gastric mucosa of rats under excessive combined intake of sodium nitrate and fluoride. Ukr Biochem J. 2016; 88(6):70-5.
- Endogenous mechanisms of cardioprotection as the basis of pathogenetic therapy of heart diseases. (Eds AA Moybenko, VE Dosenko, AN Parkhomenko). – Kiev: Naukova dumka; 2008. [Russian].
- Kang CH, Choi YH, Moon SK, Kim WJ, Kim GY. Quercetin inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide production in BV2 microglial cells by suppressing the NF-κB pathway and activating the Nrf2-dependent HO-1 pathway. Int Immunopharmacol. 2013; 17(3):808-13.
- Liu X, Lin R, Zhao B, Guan R, Li T, Jin R. Correlation between oxidative stress and the NF-κB signaling pathway in the pulmonary tissues of obese asthmatic mice. Mol Med Rep. 2016;13(2):1127-34.
- Lyashenko LI, Kostenko VO. NF-κB-mediated influence of NO-synthases on free radical processes in the periodontal tissues under modeled metabolic syndrome. Aktualʹni problemy suchasnoyi medytsyny: Visn Ukr Med Stomat Akad. 2014; 14(2):140-3. [Ukrainian].
- Nagornjak IV, Kostenko VO. Efficacy of combining Larginine and nuclear factor κB inhibitor to correct free radical processes and salivary gland functioning in rats under methacrylic acid methyl ester application. Aktualʹni problemy suchasnoyi medytsyny: Visn Ukr Med Stomat Akad. 2015; 15 (3, pt. 1):221-5. [Ukrainian].
- Kaĭdashev IP, Nozhinova OA, Bobrova NA, Riabenko VV, Bondarenko VV, Kostenko VA, Gargovich AL. Apoptosis in the cells of parenchymatous organs in subacute sodium nitrate poisoning. Tsitol Genet. 2000;34(3):62-8. [Russian].
- Kostenko VO, Tsebrzhins'kii OI. Production of superoxide anion radical and nitric oxide in renal tissues sutured with different surgical suture material. Fiziol Zh. 2000; 46(5):56-62. [Ukrainian].
- Moinard C, Cynober L, de Bandt JP. Polyamines: metabolism and implications in human diseases. Clin Nutr. 2005; 24(2):184-97.
- Wu G, Bazer FW, Davis TA, Kim SW, Li P, Marc Rhoads J, Carey Satterfield M, Smith SB, Spencer TE, Yin Y. Arginine metabolism and nutrition in growth, health and disease. Amino Acids. 2009; 37(1):153-68.
- Im SC, Waskell L. The interaction of microsomal cytochrome P450 2B4 with its redox partners, cytochrome P450 reductase and cytochrome b(5). Arch Biochem Biophys. 2011; 507(1):144-53.
- Lorin J, Zeller M, Guilland JC, Cottin Y, Vergely C, Rochette L. Arginine and nitric oxide synthase: regulatory mechanisms and cardiovascular aspects. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2014; 58(1):101-16.
- Lin WT, Yang SC, Chen KT, Huang CC, Lee NY. Protective effects of L-arginine on pulmonary oxidative stress and antioxidant defenses during exhaustive exercise in rats. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005; 26(8):992-9.