Influence of melatonin on carbohydrate metabolism in the kidney of alloxan diabetic rats
O.Yu. Kushnir, I.M. Yaremii, V.I. Shvets, N.V. Shvets
Higher education institution in Ukraine «Bukovinian State Medical University», Chernivtsi, Ukraine
The aim was to determine the influence of melatonin on basal levels of glucose (BG), activities of glucose-
6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD), pyruvate kinase (PK), glucose-6-phosphatase (G-6-Ph) and lactate
dehydrogenase (LDH) in the kidney of alloxan diabetic rats under conditions of different photoperiod. Alloxan
diabetes was evoked via injecting the rats with a 5% solution of alloxan monohydrate intraperitoneally in
a dose of 170 mg/kg of body weight. Three groups of animals were kept in conditions of artificial equinox,
constant darkness and constant light respectively during 7 days. In each group there were subgroups
collected for control, rats with diabetes mellitus (DM) – BG≥8.0 mmol/l, rats with impaired glucose tolerance
(IGT) – BG≤6.9 mmol/l and DM and IGT rats which respectively received melatonin in a dose of 10 mg/
kg of body weight. Alloxan monohydrate administration results in a significant elevation of the activities
of G-6-Ph by 147% and LDH by 39%, however a decrease of G6PD by 48% and PK by 67% were in a
direct dependence by the presence of hyperglycemia. The established changes of the indices turned out to
be more marked under the conditions of constant light. Introduction of melatonin led to improvement of
the carbohydrate metabolism.
melatonin; alloxan diabetes; carbohydrate metabolism; kidney; rats
- Turkkan A, Savas HB, Yavuz B, Yigit A, Uz E, Bayram NA, Kale B. The prophylactic effect of Viscum album in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. North Clin Istanb. 2016; 3(2):83-9. doi: 10.14744/nci.2016.22932.
- Rahimi-Madiseh M, Malekpour-Tehrani A, Bahmani M, Rafieian-Kopaei M. The research and development on the antioxidants in prevention of diabetic complications. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2016; 9(9):825-31. doi: 10.1016/j. apjtm.2016.07.001.
- Shuo Z, Chen S, Yuan L, Liu Y. Melatonin as a promising agent of regulating stem cell biology and its application in disease therapy. Pharmacol Res. 2016; pii: S1043- 6618(16)31133-1. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2016.12.035.
- Carrillo-Vico A, Guerrero JM, Lardone PJ, Reiter RJ. A review of the multiple actions of melatonin on the immune system. Endocrine. 2005; 27(2):189–200. doi: 10.1385/ ENDO:27:2:189.
- Thomas AP, Hoang J, Vongbunyong K, Nguyen A, Rakshit K, Matveyenko AV. Administration of melatonin and metformin prevents deleterious effects of circadian disruption and obesity in male rats. Endocrinology. 2016:en20161309.
- Lenzen S. The mechanisms of alloxan- and streptozotocininduced diabetes. Diabetologia. 2008; 51(2):216-26.
- Tanedja K., Yaremii I., Kushnir O. Protective effects of melatonin in alloxan diabetic rats under conditions of constant darkness. 24-th European Students' Conference ["Exploring the unknown"]. 2013; ESCID 396.
- Singh J, Kakkar P. Antihyperglycemic and antioxidant effect of Berberis aristata root extract and its role in regulating carbohydrate metabolism in diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009; 123(1):22-6. doi: 10.1016/j. jep.2009.02.038.
- Ha E, Yim SV, Chung JH, Yoon KS, Kang I, Cho YH, Baik HH. Melatonin stimulates glucose transport via insulin receptor substrate-1/phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway in C2C12 murine skeletal muscle cells. J Pineal Res. 2006; 41(1):67-72.
- Lin GJ, Huang SH, Chen YW, Hueng DY, Chien MW, Chia WT, Chang DM, Sytwu HK. Melatonin prolongs islet graft survival in diabetic NOD mice. J Pineal Res. 2009; 47(3):284-92. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2009.00712.x.
- Kushnir A, Davydenko I. Influence of melatonin on condition of the langergans isles of the pancreas in alloxan diabetic rats. World of Medicine and Biology. 2009; 5(4):31-5.
- Yu X, Park BH, Wang MY, Wang ZV, Unger RH. Making insulin-deficient type 1 diabetic rodents thrive without insulin. The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 2008; 105(37):14070-14075. doi: 10.1073/ pnas.0806993105.
- Gumieniczek A, Wilk M. Nitrosative stress and glutathione redox system in four different tissues of alloxan-induced hyperglycemic animals. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2009; 19(4):302-7. doi: 10.1080/15376510902839762
- Sahna E, Parlakpinar H, Vardi N, Cigremis Y, Acet A. Efficacy of melatonin as protectant against oxidative stress and structural changes in liver tissue in pinealectomized rats. Acta Histochem. 2004; 106(5):331-6.
- Gerush I., Boichuk T., Yaremii I., Kushnir O., Gerush O. Effects of melatonin on the glutathione system in the blood of alloxan diabetic rats. The International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB) and The Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS). 2012;279(1):88.
- Goc Z, Szaroma W, Kapusta E, Dziubek K. Protective effects of melatonin on the activity of SOD, CAT, GSH-Px and GSH content in organs of mice after administration of SNP. Chin J Physiol. 2017; 60(1). pii: CJP.2017.BAF435. doi: 10.4077/CJP.2017.BAF435.
- Selyatitskaya VG, Cherkasova OP, Pankina TV, Palchikova NA. Functional state of adrenocortical system in rats with manifest alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2008; 146(6):708-10.
- Budhram R, Lau-Cam CA. Attenuating effect of melatonin on pyridoxal-stimulated release of adrenomedullary catecholamines in the rat. Life Sciences. 2009. Life Sci. 2009; 84(19-20):696-704. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2009.02.017.
- Sánchez-Campos S, Arévalo M, Mesonero MJ, Esteller A, González-Gallego J, Collado PS. Effects of melatonin on fuel utilization in exercised rats: role of nitric oxide and growth hormone. J Pineal Res. 2001; 31(2):159-66.