ЕFFECTS OF MONO-, POLY- AND COMPOSITE PROBIOTICS ON THE ULCERATION CAUSED BY RESTRAINT STRESS
O.V. Virchenko1, T.M. Falalyeyeva1., T.V. Beregova1, M.Y. Spivak2 , L.M. Lazarenko2, O.M. Demchenko2
- Kyiv Taras Shevchenko National University;
- Institute of Microbiology and Virusology NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
It was studied the effect of probiotic strains of Bifidobacterium
animalis VKL, Bifidobacterium animalis VKB and Lactobacillus
casei IMVB-7280, and their mixtures on erosive
and ulcerative lesions of the gastric mucosa (GM) of rats.
GM was induced by water-immersion restraint stress. It was
found that investigated probiotics did not have gastroprotective
properties under a single and seven-day prophylactic
administration. However, multiprobiotics (polyprobiotic
Bifidobacterium animalis VKL and Bifidobacterium animalis
VKB and composite probiotic Bifidobacterium animalis
VKL, Bifidobacterium animalis VKB and Lactobacillus casei
IMVB- 7280) reduced the erosive and ulcerative lesions and
the intensity of bleeding in rat GM when given within 14 days.
It was shown that one of the mechanisms of antiulcer preventive
effect of the multistrain probiotics is the restoration of
pro/antioxidant balance in the GM under the stress action. The
obtained results show the effectiveness of poly- and composite
probiotics in the gastric ulcer prevention.
probiotics; erosive and ulcerative lesion; stress
- Tsiotsias A, Voidarou C, Skoufos J, Simopoulos C, Konstandi M, Kostakis D, et al. Stress-Induced Alterations in Intestinal Microflora. Microb Ecol Health Dis. 2004(16):28-31.
- Bowe WP, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis - back to the future? Gut Pathog. 2011;3(1):1.
- Newson MJ, Pope GR, Roberts EM, Lolait SJ, O'Carroll AM. Stress-dependent and gender-specific neuroregulatory roles of the apelin receptor in the hypothalamic-pituitaryadrenal axis response to acute stress. J Endocrinol. 2013 Jan;216(1):99-109.
- Neuman-Lee LA, French SS. Wound healing reduces stress-induced immune changes: evidence for immune prioritization in the side-blotched lizard. J Comp Physiol B. 2014 Jul;184(5):623-9.
- Spivak M, Lazarenko LM, Falalieieva TM, Virchenko OV, Neporada KS. Prophylactic effect of probiotic strains Bifidobacterium animalis VKL and VKB on stressinduced lesions in the gastric mucosa of rats. Fiziol Zh. 2013;59(2):23-30. [Ukrainian].
- Lam EK, Yu L, Wong HP, Wu WK, Shin VY, Tai EK, et al. Probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG enhances gastric ulcer healing in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Jun 22;565(1- 3):171-9.
- Elliott SN, Buret A, McKnight W, Miller MJ, Wallace JL. Bacteria rapidly colonize and modulate healing of gastric ulcers in rats. Am J Physiol. 1998 Sep;275(3 Pt 1):G425-32.
- Lutgendorff F, Nijmeijer RM, Sandstrom PA, Trulsson LM, Magnusson KE, Timmerman HM, et al. Probiotics prevent intestinal barrier dysfunction in acute pancreatitis in rats via induction of ileal mucosal glutathione biosynthesis. PLoS One. 2009;4(2):e4512.
- Takagi K, Kasuya Y, Watanabe K. Studies on the Drugs for Peptic Ulcer. A Reliable Method for Producing Stress Ulcer in Rats. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 1964 Apr;12:465-72.
- Gavrilov VB, Gavrilova AR, Hmara NF. Measurement of diene conjugates in plasma by UV absorbance of heptane and isopropanol extracts. Laboratory work. 1988( 2):60-3. [Russian].
- Timirbulatov RA, Seleznev EM. A method for increasing of the intensity of lipid peroxidation in blood and its diagnostic value. Laboratory work. 1981(4):209-11. [Russian].
- Chevari C, Chaba I., Sekey Y. Role of superoxide dismutase in oxidative processes of cell and method for its measuring in biological materials. Laboratory work. 1985(11):678–81. [Russian].
- Korolyuk MA, Ivanov LI, Mayorov IG. Method of measuring of catalase activity. Laboratory work. 1998(1):16-9. [Russian].
- Kolesova OE, Markin AA, Fedorova TN Lipid peroxidation and methods for determining lipid peroxidation products in biological fluids. Laboratory work. 1984(9):540-6. [Russian].
- Das D, Bandyopadhyay D, Bhattacharjee M, Banerjee RK. Hydroxyl radical is the major causative factor in stress-induced gastric ulceration. Free Radic Biol Med. 1997;23(1):8-18.
- Liu CF, Tseng KC, Chiang SS, Lee BH, Hsu WH, Pan TM. Immunomodulatory and antioxidant potential of Lactobacillus exopolysaccharides. Journal of the science of food and agriculture. 2011 Sep;91(12):2284-91.
- Timmerman HM, Koning CJ, Mulder L, Rombouts FM, Beynen AC. Monostrain, multistrain and multispecies probiotics--A comparison of functionality and efficacy. Int J Food Microbiol. 2004 Nov 15;96(3):219-33.
- Orhan YT, Karagozlu C, Sarioglu S, Yilmaz O, Murat N, Gidener S. A study on the protective activity of kefir against gastric ulcer. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2012 Aug;23(4):333-8.
- Senol A, Isler M, Karahan AG, Kilic GB, Kuleasan H, Goren I, et al. Effect of probiotics on aspirin-induced gastric mucosal lesions. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2011 Feb;22(1):18-26.