COMPARISON OF SPECTROSCOPIC PROPERTIES OF INTRAOCULAR FLUID IN PATIENTS WITH CATARACT AND PRIMARY OPEN-ANGLE GLAUCOMA
S.V. Kolotilov, V.O. Melnyk, A.S. Lytvynenko, S.O. Sotnik, O.O. Hurzhii
Ophthalmological Clinic “Visiobud plus”, Kyiv; Institute of
Physical Chemistry of L.B. Pisargevskiy NAS Ukraine, Kyiv
This paper presents a comparison of spectroscopic properties of
aqueous humour in patients with cataract (60 patients, 60 eyes)
and combination of cataract and primary open angle glaucoma
(POAG, 36 patients, 36 eyes). The samples of aqueous humour
were collected during the surgery. Both groups of patients
were treated with different types of local drug antihypertensive
therapy with different multiplicity and duration of instillation
during the preoperative period. The absorption spectrum of
aqueous humour were measured in the wavelength range 190-
1100 nm. There were two absorption bands with maximums at
202 and 267 nm in the absorption spectrum (2nd maximum of
some samples was shifted to larger wavelengths). The mean
absorbance of aqueous humour at 202 nm in patients without
POAG was significantly lower than in patients with POAG.
This difference could be explained with accumulation of metabolites
in aqueous humour of patients with POAG, which in
turn may be caused by deceleration of aqueous humour flow
in patients with POAG. Meanwhile, there were no statistically
significant differences of mean absorbance of aqueous humour
at 267 nm between the patients of both groups.
cataract; primary open-angle glaucoma; optical density of aqueous humour; spectroscopy.
- Quigley HA, Broman AT. The number of people with glaucoma worldwide in 2010 and 2020. Br J Ophthalmol.2006; 90: 262–7.
- Kwon Y.H., Fingert J.H., Kuehn M.H., Alward W.L. Primary open-angle glaucoma. N Engl J Med.2009;360:1113–24. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra0804630.
- Weinreb RN, Khaw PT. Primary open-angle glaucoma. Lancet. 2004; 22: 1711–20.
- Mäepea O, Bill A. Pressures in the juxtacanaliculartissue and Schlemm's canal in monkeys. Exp Eye Res.1992; 54: 879–83.
- Navajas EV, Martins JR, Melo LA Jr et al. Concentration of hyaluronic acid in primary open-angle glaucoma aqueous humor. Exp Eye Res. 2005; 80: 853–7.5.
- Picht G, Welge-Luessen U, Grehn F, Lütjen-Drecoll E.Transforming growth factor beta 2 levels in the aqueous humor in different types of glaucoma and therelation to filtering bleb development. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2001; 239: 199–207.
- Koliakos GG, Konstas AG, Schlötzer-Schrehardt Uet al. Endothelin-1 concentration is increased in the aqueous humour of patients with exfoliation syndrome. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004; 88: 523–7.
- Beardsley TL, Shields MB. Effect of timolol on aqueous humor protein concentration in humans. Am J Ophthalmol. 1983; 95: 448–50.
- Prata Tdos S, Navajas EV, Melo LA Jr, Martins JR,Nader HB, Belfort R Jr. Aqueous humor protein concentration in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma under clinical treatment. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2007;70: 217–20.
- Kotikoski H1, Moilanen E, Vapaatalo H, Aine E Biochemical markers of the L-arginine-nitric oxide pathway in the aqueous humour in glaucomapatients. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2002 Apr;80(2):191-5.
- Ayman J. Aljohani, Gustavo C. Munguba. Sphingolipids and ceramides in human aqueous humor Molecular Vision 2013; 19.
- Fautsch MP, Howell KG, Vrabel AM, Charlesworth CM, Muddiman DC, Johnson DH. Primary trabecular meshwork cells incubated in human aqueous humor differ from cells incubated in serum supplements. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci.2005;30:1035–40.
- Stuart P. Richer, R.C.Rose. Water soluble antioxidants in mammalian aqueous humor: interaction with UV B and hydrogen peroxide. Vis Res. 1998;38: 2881–88.
- E. de Berardinis, O. Tieri, A. Polzella and N. Iuglio, The Chemical Composition of the Human Aqueous Humour in Normal and Pathological Conditions. Exp Eye Res. 1965; 4:179-186.
- Tiago dos Santos Prata; Eduardo Vitor Navajas; Luiz Alberto Soares Melo Jr.; João Roberto Maciel Martins; Helena Bonciani Nader; Rubens Belfort Jr., Aqueous humor protein concentration in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma under clinical treatment. Arq Bras Ophtalmol. 2007;70(2):217-20.
- Sandra M. Ferreira, S.FabiÁn Lerner, R. Brunzini, Pablo A. Evelson, Susana F. Llesuy, Oxidative stress markers in aqueous humor of glaucoma patients. Amer J Ophthalmol. 2004; 137(1);62–69.
- Olson, B. J. and Markwell, J. 2007. Assays for Determination of Protein Concentration. Cur Prot Prot Sci. 48:3.4:3.4.1–3.4.29.
- S. A. Markarian * and H. R. Sargsyan, Electronic absorption spectra of ascorbic acid in water and water-dialkylsulfoxide mixtures, J Appl Spectroscopy. 201; 78(1):6-9.
- M. V. Riley, R. F. Meyer and E. M. Yates, Glutathione in the aqueous humor of human and other species. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1980; 19(1):94-96.
- Amund Ringvold, Erlend Anderssen Egil Jellum, Ellen Bjerkås, Geir A. Sonerud, Peder J. Haaland, Tone Pahle Devor, Inge Kjønniksen, UV-Absorbing Compounds in the Aqueous Humor from Aquatic Mammals and Various NonMammalian Vertebrates, Ophthalm Res. 2003;35:208–16.
- O.V. Sverdlova. Electronic spectra in organic chemistry. L Chemistry. 1985; 2: 248. [Russian].
- Charles W. McLaughlin, Mike O. Karl, Sylvia ZellhuberMcMillan. Electron probe X-ray microanalysis of intact pathway for human aqueous humor outflow. Amer J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008; 295(1): 1083-91.
- Al-Aswad LA, Gong H, Lee D, O'Donnell ME, Brandt JD, Ryan WJ, Schroeder A, Erickson KA. Effects of Na-K-2Cl cotransport regulators on outflow facility in calf and human eyes in vitro. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1999; 40: 1695–1701.
- B'Ann True Gabelt, Paul L. Kaufman. Changes in aqueous humor dynamics with age and glaucoma Progress in Retinal and Eye Res. 2005; 24: 612-37.