NO-ERGIC CONTROL OF BLOOD CIRCULATION IN THE MEDULLA OBLONGATA OF RATS WITH EXPERIMENTAL HEMIPARKINSONIZM UNDER EXPOSURE TO CONTINUOUS LIGHT
L.M. Shapoval, B.S. Kop’yak, O.V. Dmytrenko, V.O. Mayskiy, O.P. Mankivska, V.F. Sagach
OO.Bogomolets Institute of Physiology, National Academy
of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv
The study was conducted on rats with unilateral damage
to dopaminergic (DA) neurons in substantia nigra of the
midbrain (experimental hemiparkinsonism). Degeneration of
dopaminergic (DA) neurons was accompanied by hyperactivity
of those neurons that remained intact and responded to
apomorphine (Apo) test by rotational movements. Depending on
the number of rotations, three groups of animals were defined.
In the medulla oblongata of rats with unilateral damage to
dopaminergic (DA) neurons, a significant increase in the activity
of inducible NO-synthase (iNOS) was observed, while the
activity of constitutive NO-synthase (cNOS) tended to decrease
compared with that in control rats. An activation of neuronal
NO-synthase (nNOS) in those rats by injections of L-arginine
in the medullary nuclei was accompanied by weakening of the
hemodynamic effects compared to those in control rats. An
exposure of animals to continuous light for three weeks was
accompanied by increasing the number of damaged DA-ergic
neurons in substantia nigra. At that, a significant decrease in
cNOS activity in the medulla oblongata was observed, leading
to the inhibition of de novo synthesis of nitric oxide (NO). The
reduction of NO synthesis in the medulla oblongata neurons
of rats with experimental hemiparkinsonism following their
exposure to continuous light was also evidenced by the reduction
of the amount of nitrite (NO2-) anion.
nitric oxide; medulla oblongata; substantia nigra; exposure to light.
- Magerkurt C, Schnitzer R, Braune S. Symptoms of autonomic failure in Parkinson's disease: prevalence and impact on daily life. Clin Autonom Res. 2005;15(2):76- 82.
- Talanov SA, Kotsuruba AV, Chorna SV, Rudyk OV, Sagach VF. Increased sensitivity of mitochondrial permeability transition causes myocardial dysfunction in rats with chronic deficiency of nigrostriatal dopamine. In: Adv Biomed Res, Univ Cambridge. 2010;318-22.
- Tsang AH, Chung KK. Oxidative and nitrosative stress in Parkinson's disease. Biochem Biophys Acta. 2009;1792(7):643-50.
- Aquilano K, Baldelli S, Rotilio G, Ciriolo MR. Role of nitric oxide synthases in Parkinson's disease: a review on the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of polyphenols. Neurochem Res. 2008;33(12):2416-26.
- Shapoval LN, Sagach VF, Pobegailo LS. Nitric oxide influences ventrolateral medullary mechanisms of vasomotor control in the cat. Neurosci Lett. 1991;132:47-50.
- Krukoff TI. Central actions of nitric oxide in regulation of autonomic functions. Brain Res. 1999;30:52-65.
- Zanzinger J. Role of nitric oxide in the neural control of cardiovascular functions. Cardiovascul Res. 1999; 43:839-649.
- Shapoval LN. Nitric oxide and nervous control of cardiovascular function. In: Reseptors, Channels and Messengers. Kostyuk PG, Lukyanetrz EA eds., DUS Kiev. 2005; p.318-37.
- Phattanarudee A, Towiwat P, Maher TJ, et al. Effects of medullary administration of a nitric oxide precursor on cardiovascular responses and neurotransmission during static exercise following ischemic stroke. Canad J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;91(7):510-20.
- Zanzinger J, Seller H. Species differences in the distribution of nitric oxide synthase in brain stem regions that regulate sympathetic activity. Brain Res. 1997;764:265-68.
- Lin LH, Taktakishvili O, TALMAN WT. Identification and localization of cell types that express endothelial and neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the rat nucleus tractus solitarii. Brain Res. 2007; 1171:42-51.
- Aydogan SM, Yerer AB, Goktas Melatonin and nitric oxide J.Endocrinol Invest. 2006;29(3):281-87.
- Reiter RJ. Melatonin: cell biology of its synthesis and of its physiological interactions. Endocrinol Rev. 1991; 12:151-80.
- Dorminguez-Rodriguez A, Abreu-Gonzalez P, Sanchez JJ. Melatonin and circadian biology in human cardiovascular disease. J Pineal Res. 2010; 49:14-22.
- Pechanova O., Paulis L., Simko F. Peripheral and central effects OF melatonin on blood pressure regulation. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:17920-937.
- Paulis L, Simko F. Blood pressure modulation and cardiovascular protection by melatonin: potential mechanisms behind. Physiol Res. 2007;56:671-84.
- Vazan R, Beder I, Styk J. Melatonin and the heart. Cesk Fysiol. 2004;53:29-33.
- Doolen S, Krause DN, Dubocovich ML, et al. Melatonin mediates two distinct responses in vascular smooth muscle. Eur J Pharmacol. 1998;345:67-69.
- Dobsak P, Siegelova I, Eicher JC et al. Melatonin protects against ischemia-reperfusion injury and inhibits apoptosis is isolated working rat heart. Pathophysiology. 2003;9:179-87.
- Sagach VF, Rudyk OV, Vavilova GL, Kotsiuruba AV, Tkachenko JuP. Melatonin recovers ischemic tolerance and decreases the sensitivity of mitochondrial permeability transition pore opening in the heart of aging rats. Fiziol Zh. 2006;52(3):3-14 [Ukrainian].
- Ungerstedt U. 6-hydroxy-dopamine induced degeneration of central monoamine neurons. Eur J Pharmacol. 1968;5:107-10.
- Paxinos G, Watson C. The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates. Acad Pres New York, 1982
- Ungerstedt U. Postsynaptic supersensitivity after 6-hydroxydopamine induced degeneration of nigrostrial dopamine system. Acta Physiol Scand. 1971;82:69-93.
- Agid Y, Javoy F, Glowinski G. Hyperactivity of remaining dopaminergic neurons after partial destruction of the nigro-striatal dopaminergic system in the rat. Nat New Boil. 1973;245:150-51.
- Salter M, Knowles RG, Moncada S. Widespread tissue distribution, species and changes in activity of Ca2+- dependent and Ca2+-independent nitric oxide syntases. FEBS Lett. 1991;291:145-49.
- Chin SY, Pandey KN, Shi SJ, et al. Increased activity and expression of Ca2+-dependent NOS in renal cortex of ANG II-infused hypertensive rats. Amer J Physiol. 1999;277:797-804.
- Durante W, Johnson F.K., Johnson A.J. Arginase: a critical regulator of nitric oxide synthesis and vascular function. Clin Exp Pharmacol. Physiol. 2007;34(9):906-11.
- Boyde J.R, Rahmotullah M. Optimization of conditions for the colorimetric determination of citrulline, using diacetil monoxime. Anal Biochem. 1980;107:424-31.
- Lewy AJ, Wehr TA, Goodwin FK, Newsome DA, Market SP. Light suppresses melatonin secretion in humans. Science, 1980, 210 (4475), 1267-69