The impact of male phytoestrogenization on the somato-sexual development and fertility of the offsprings in rats
Seliukova NIu, Karpenko NO, Korenieva IeM, Somova OV, Smolienko NP, Pocherniaieva SS, Brechka NM
SI « V Danilevsky Institute of Endocrine Pathology Problems of the NAMS of Ukraine», Kharkiv, Ukraine
The effect of phytoestrogen-rich diet administered to male
rats in a dose 20 mg / kg of body weight for 30 days with the
mixture of phytoestrogens on reproductive function of male
offspring and the effect of additional phytoestrogenization
during milk feeding have been investigated. It was shown
that male phytoestrogenization leads to feminization of the offsprings.
Specifically, at birth, the ano-genital distance in males
was less than that measured in control rats: (2,7 ± 0,1) vs (3,1
± 0,0) mm (Р <0,05). This and additional phytoestrogenization
of newborn rats during milk feeding inhibit their somatic
and sexual development, weakening sexual activity in adults
and reducing fertility at the expense of dectreased fertilizing
capacity of sperm. A possible mechanism for the observed
effects may be a reduction of relative androgenization due to
increased of estradiol concentration by 3-4 times. Analysis
of the data revealed a significant impact of phytoestrogens
in father’s diet on reproductive function of their offsprings
under conditions of additional phytoestrogenization after birth
phytoestrogens, descedants, sexual behavior,spermatogenesis.
- Koreneva EM, Karpenko NA. Phytoestrogens. Influence on the reproductive system. Problems Endocrine Pathology 2007; 3:87-95.
- Wigle D, Arbuckle T, Tuner M. Epidemiologic evidence of relationships between reproductive and child health outcomes and environmental chemical contaminants. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health. B. Crit. Rev 2008; 11(5-6):373-517.
- Shepelskaya NR, Prodanchuk MG. Soy phytoestrogens and their anti-androgenic action. Problems harch 2010; 3-4:26-31.
- Wisniewski AB, Klein SL, Lakshmanan Y, Gearhart JP. Expisure to Genistein during Gestation and lactation demasculinized the reproductive system in rats. J Urol 2003; 169(4):1582-6.
- Gladkova A, ZolotukhinaV, Klimova A. Features consequences of hyperandrogenism of a parent for a offspring. Endocrinology 2001; 6:6.
- Chistyakova EE. Features of reproductive disorders of male offspring received from male rats that have had stress. Thesis fundamental and Clinical endocrinology: problems, achievements and perspectives (7th Danilevsky reading), Kharkov, 21-22 February. p. 144-5
- Karpenko NA, Chub N, Bryzgalova G. Effect of longterm low-dosage of irradiation of germ cells in male gametogenesis postmeyotychniy phase of spermatogenesis in their offspring. UJ of Radiology 2000; 8:73-76.
- Hu WY, Wu SH, Wang LL. A toxicological and epidemiological study of reproductive functions of male workers exposed to lead. J. Hyg. Epidemiol. Microbiol.Immunol 1992; 36(1):25-30.
- General ethical principles of animal experimentation. Endocrinology 2003; 8(1):142-5.
- Gladkova AI Yaremenko FG, Nikishina LE, Kravchenko SV. Study of the composition of soy product Genistein Soy Complex using chromatographic methods. Thesis conference Kharkiv, 3-4 March. 2011 p. 29-30.
- Byshovets TF. Experimental study embryotoxical action of medicines: methodological recommendations. Preclinical studies of medicines; 2001.
- Vorobyova OA, Leontyeva OA, Korsak VS. Effect sperm morphology on of fertilization frequency and early embryonic development disorders. Cytology 1996;38(2):1248-54.
- Rehfeldt C, Kalbe C, Nurnberg G, Mau M. Dosedependent effects of genistein and daidzein on protein metabolism in porcine myotube cultures. J Agric Food Chem 2009; 57(3):852-7.
- Simmen FA, Mercado CP, Zavacki AM, Huang SA, Greenway AD, Kang P, Bowman MT, Prior RL. Soy protein diet alters expression of hepatic genes regulating fatty acid and thyroid hormone metabolism in the male rat. J Nutr Biochem 2010; 21(11):1106-13.
- Smolyenko NP, Gladkova AI Karpenko N. Deleted consequences of phytoestrogens in different age periods for a sexual behavior of male rats. Thesis scientific and practical Conference «Achievements and Prospects of Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology» (9th Danilevsky reading), Kharkiv, 2-3 March. 2010 p.122-3.
- McClein RM, Wolz E, Davidovich A. Reproductive safety studies with genistein in rats. Food. Chem. Toxicol 2007; 45(8):1319-32.